MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters Acer Aspire will not boot up, & just says 'disc read error'. I put another hard drive in it and it worked, so it is the hard drive at fault. I can get a new one of those, but is there any way to recover what she had on the drive at all? And no, she had not backed it up for ages!

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
My daughters Acer Aspire will not boot up, & just says 'disc read error'. I put another hard drive in it and it worked, so it is the hard drive at fault. I can get a new one of those, but is there any way to recover what she had on the drive at all? And no, she had not backed it up for ages!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Yes its recoverable, how much depends on how far gone.

My first step would be to buy a hard drive dock.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DUAL-DRIVE-DOCKING-STATION-eSATA/dp/B009WK1UY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405805175&sr=8-1&keywords=hard+drive+dock

It may even be enough to do that and then copy off the data.
If that fails run the usual windows disk repair

(my computer, right click the drive then go to properties, tools tab then disk repair)

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, although in cannot get into windows 7 on it as it does not even start up, just a black screen with that error message on it. Would I have the same problem with the docking station do you think?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Thanks for that, although in cannot get into windows 7 on it as it does not even start up, just a black screen with that error message on it. Would I have the same problem with the docking station do you think?
Nope, it would be seen, and behave as, an external drive.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
if the disc is not being read by the laptop it is likely dead or dying, sometimes a gentle tap might get it spinning again and if you are lucky you can save anything of it. It will really depend on whether the platter is spinning, if it is then recovery is possible, if not then it's much harder and there are companies that can recover data from dead hard drives but they cost quite a bit generally and there is still no guarantee how much data can be recovered if anything.

If the disc is spinning but keeps crashing so to speak usually due to overheating then a trick is to cool the drive in the freezer in a sealed bag for a short while then try connecting it into an external drive enclosure or dock and it may work long enough to recover stuff, this is usually a last chance saloon for free data recovery at home.

If you buy an enclosure or a dock then you need to make sure if it is an IDE hard drive or an SATA hard drive and buy one that it fits or a dock that allows both IDE and SATA connection.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
You may not even need to buy the dock.

There's two things you can do.

First is download an application called spinrite. You may need to get it from, uh, other sources. If you want me to send you my copy let me know.

You then put this on a usb stick and boot it. It's the most advanced disk repair application I've ever come across, it will scan the disk for damage blocks or corrupt blocks and either bypass the broken blocks to allow for disk usage or will reset the corrupt blocks to 0.

Or you can create a Linux live usb, that will mount the internal hard drive and allow access so you can grab the files.

Finally you can try using an open source application called testdisk which is an advanced data recovery app, you can create a live cd and boot into it to recover the data.

If you need links or steps to do any of this let me know, happy to help.

edit - no need to buy the dock at all, all above methods will work in situ. You may find it the corruption happened during windows running it may have an unclean shutdown so will need to be repaired and then booted into and shutdown to allow for clean shutdown.

Think of it like a leech. When you turn on a computer the software 'binds' itself to the hard drive that's running it)(Called mounting), like a leech if you just power down the laptop without a proper shutdown the connection will still be there on the hard drive, much like a leech head if you rip it off.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Alternatively your actually close to me so can meet in the middle and help out if you would like (and buy a pint for payment :D) or you can send me the hard drive and I can try and get data off it and send it back.

Last suggestion - if you want a pro company to deal with it I can get the name of the one we use at work. Costs a fair bit but my god they are good at it.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mini mayhem, as it is my daughters 5 plus year old laptop I might just get a newer bigger drive & upgrade the RAM as she has been asking for a new one for a while.

It is only photos that I need to retrieve if it wasn't going to be too much hard work! It is still a good unit, just needs modernising.

Appreciate the offer though, and might take you up on it when I get backs from hols. As it is still a 250gb hard drive!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
What kind of laptop is it?

Reason I ask is I have a Vostro 3700 that I can strip, got RAM, wireless card and other bits that can be transferred, depending on the make/model. Happy to strip off and send over or fit for you, I have all the kit needed to properly dismantle and reassemble. Either that or I'll just chuck it away, the screen brackets are buggered so its totally unusable.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an Acer Aspire 5338, Celeron 1.8ghz, with 3gig RAM, wifi, etc. Not a bad spec, which is why I am reluctant to lob it! What hard drive has the Vostro? If it fits, sounds like a great plan!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I *think* the laptop has a 500GB HD but it may be 300 or 250, I cant remember. Happy to send over or fit for you regardless as its not in use anymore.

I think it also has 2 x 2GB sticks of ram so can send you those, it may even have 1 x 4GB stick so can send you what I find.

Did the laptop come with a windows installation CD? Acer typically ship their laptops with OEM Windows which limits the cd-key to only Acer OEM Windows installations - typically those are harder to get hold of. As you'll need Windows (unless you want to move your daughter over to Linux!) on the new hard-drive (the current operating system on it is Dell OEM) you can either use the Acer disk if it came with one or I can obtain a copy of Windows 8 (I have a copy on my new laptop that was 'obtained', has no problems with Windows updates etc).

Does the laptop have a cd-key sticker on the bottom? If so it should say which type of Windows it has installed. I *may* have a copy of the Acer OEM Windows 7, my partners Acer Aspire also dieded cause of the HD and had to download it and then reinstall it.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
If you are going to get a new HDD I recommend a SSD.

It will make any computer fly and they are coming down massively in price.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
It is only a 1.8Gz though, would an SSD hard drive not just burn it out?
Nah not at all, the processor will be under less load as the data on the disc will be accessed much quicker. Just be careful though as there are hybrid ssd drives that are not full ssd and as such won't be as good.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got bored this afternoon so popped down to PC World & got a cheap 500Gb hard drive, reloaded Windows 7 (had the disc) and Bobs your uncle, all working well.

I am working on the basis that it will need to be replaced sooner rather than later as it is 6 or 7 years old now, so I will shore it up until Christmas & get a new one for her!

Looking at the cost of hard drives these days, i it worth trying to rescue the 250Gb one that came out & use it as a stand alone hard drive?

Thanks for all the offers of help etc., much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Depends how badly you want the files or space - you can always fix it up and then put it back in the laptop and merge the two disks in Windows so you get 750GB.

Depends on how bad the damage is, or indeed if its just corruption instead of hardware damage. If the former then repair it, put into the laptop and merge petitions so it looks like a single drive. If the latter then put into laptop but keep as separate drive for temp storage etc.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Get the data off the drive if you've not done so already, Spinrite and such like will really kick a dieing drive whilst its down. Sometimes they will kill them altogether.

Could be corruption on the drive, buts odds are its a bad sector, cut your losses and chuck it in the bin if that the case.

·
Super Moderator
10,995 Posts
If you are going to get a new HDD I recommend a SSD.

It will make any computer fly and they are coming down massively in price.
Yes it will . Just fitted one in my Pavilion dv7. It was given to me with problems. Won't boot now and again. Cloned the disk and now it's transformed the lap top. Recommended. £60 and it boots like billy O now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts