MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Not been back long and my long term plans for the Tf have just taken a very big downward turn after her to g the head gasket,water pump and timing belt done the cars now developed a strange stable noise from the drivers side rear wheel.
After having it looked at advised possible new clutch and bearing not an exspense I was planning for plus some suspension work also pushing the repair bill close to a £1000 which I just can't justify it is a shame though the car does look great otherwise.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
the clutch is on the passenger side, not the drivers side. Who said it was clutch noise? id get a 2nd opinion if I were you. Most of us on here do our own repairs, it keeps the costs down and you get to know your MG very well! Ive had mine for 4 years and Ive had Russell do the HG - as hes local and I know him from my sons TF160. Other than that, Ive done brakes/discs and rear-calipers, exhaust system- manifold and rear section/box, HRW, Heater resistor bank, Undersealed it fully, painted the subframes with hammerite, 2 batteries (lots of short stop/starts to station) and new downsteam lamda- as the old one was shorting out giving me hell, new carpets, and annual full engine service/filters. Thats about it. Its been very reliable. I know it very well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Its all started after having head gasket replaced along with timing belt it would not be ethical to mention names but they have tried to help which I am thankful for and offered to look at possible gear box oil and clutch fluid levels.
I did have a hose burst day after I picked up the car which is part of my not really feeling I can trust the car which sounds daft I know but the noise it makes like a warble around the rear wheel area.
Checks of alternator and timing belt all checked out so after depressing the clutch some not all of the noise cleared hence the diagnosis.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi Guys
Not been back long and my long term plans for the Tf have just taken a very big downward turn after her to g the head gasket,water pump and timing belt done the cars now developed a strange stable noise from the drivers side rear wheel.
After having it looked at advised possible new clutch and bearing not an exspense I was planning for plus some suspension work also pushing the repair bill close to a £1000 which I just can't justify it is a shame though the car does look great otherwise.
If there is a constant sound from the area of the rear driver's wheel, even when the car is at a standstill, it could be that the cambelt is tensioned too tightly. This happened to me (there is also a regular but low mechanical knocking if you listen very carefully). Once the tensioner is eased off to the correct tension, all is OK again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to upload a short video with the noise being made hoping for possible feedback on what it could many thanks for the advice so for guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts