MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 620ti is not liking damp mornings.

Starts fine, but by the time I'm at the T junction 1/2 a mile down the road it will stall.

Just changed the plugs so at least they're OK. The HT leads look to be in good condition.

What else could I be checking? Seems OK on a dry morning like this morning.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I havent found a cure for damp starts. It makes it little better when the car can run about 1 minute on a standstill without revving the engine.

I have tried imaginable and less things and nothing seems to cure it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My car use to stall on damp mornings when i went down the road and stopped.My friend who`s a mechanic had the car and cleaned out the throttle body and since then i`ve not stalled once .

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
All good suggestions , you can get proprietary water dispersant spray for the ignition system , I'd give this a bash first

also check the airfilter is nice and dry (might be worth changing it if its still the oe paper item ? ) , regards , andy

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
also check the airfilter is nice and dry (might be worth changing it if its still the oe paper item ? ) , regards , andy
That was going to be my suggestion.

Also, (I'm not sure if your engine has these, I'm just going from experience with my previous bike's engine) if there are drain holes for the plug recesses, make sure these are clear. Blocked drain holes can result in flooded plug recesses causing all sorts of running issues.

Like I say though, your car's engine might not have these. I'm not familiar with that engine.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone.

Air filter should be OK as I changed that a couple of weeks ago, but I'll check it just to be on the safe side.

There was no water in the plug recesses, but I noticed when I chaged the plugs there was a pool of oil in hole #1 (ie furthest from the battery). It was clean oil though, so I guess it must have been from clumsy filling on my part. Maybe that plug socket needs a bit more cleaning though?

Cheers,

Justin

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
There was no water in the plug recesses, but I noticed when I chaged the plugs there was a pool of oil in hole #1 (ie furthest from the battery). It was clean oil though, so I guess it must have been from clumsy filling on my part. Maybe that plug socket needs a bit more cleaning though?

Cheers,

Justin
Could be a cam cover gasket ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts