MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just paid £60 for my new Kenwood front speakers and although there better, I was expecting more.
Does it matter which way round the wires go as this may be the problem?
Matt

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
hmm yes and no. If you ahve rear speakers as well then you could have an out of phase problem. If the negative and positives on the front are setup in the opposite way to the rears then the fronts will be out of phase with the rears, this will cause sounds to be cancelled out, making the overall sound flat. This can also occur if you have the left out of phase with the right.

Best thing to do to be certain you've got the speakers setup right is to buy a CD cleaner/Audio setup CD. The CD cleaner is not important for this but the Audio setup will go through various tests, ensuring you've got bass and trebble settings right for the enviroment, it will also identify if any speaker is out of phase. Very handy little tool, and usually only cost a fiver.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The easiest way to test phase is with a simple AA battery. IN phase, means that if you connect + to + and - to -, then the speaker cone should move OUT towards you.
If it doesn't, then it's not in phase. Although that's pretty obvious when i come to think about it. This is really only useful when doing component setups, as it can be hard to judge when connecting to a crossover.

Did you re-do the speaker cabling, because if you didn't, surely the existing cabling should have spade terminals which only fit on one of the speaker terminals - you shouldn't be able to get it wrong...

It can also very much depend on your head unit. Unless you have tweaked the settings for the new speakers you may find that sound isn't what you expected.

Finally, I'm hoping that you didn't purchase the speakers with the head unit's amplifier rating in mind (e.g. 4x50W or whatever it might say) because the liklihood is that the headunit is actually only outputting 17W RMS (the 50W is a peak output figure, RMS is average continual output), if that - which may not be enough to make the speakers sing...

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Lack of bass is good indication of speakers being out of phase. The problem lies with trying to locate which one is out of phase in a 4 speaker system. One possible way would be to disconnect the rears, then test the fronts and try both ways till you find the correct setup, then disconnect the front and do the same with the rears, then test front with back etc. I find it hard to believe that the wires aren't colour coded to indicate which is negative and possitive.

Solid black should be negative, black with a white line (or any other colour) should be positive. The tabs on the speajers should indicate which is positive and negative. If you wire them all up correctly, and assuming the connections are correct at head unit level you should be fine.

The easiest way to test phase is with a simple AA battery. IN phase, means that if you connect + to + and - to -, then the speaker cone should move OUT towards you.
That would only tell you which was +ve and -ve on the speaker, not which wire from the headunit was +ve and -ve. The speaker should have a + and - sign on them anyway.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Just to add - the guys above are talking about "electrical phase" - i.e whether the positives and negatives "match" eachother. Although this does affect the sound, of far more importance to the listenner is the fact that the sound is in phase when it reaches our ears. There are no hard and fast rules as to which speakers should be connected in (electrical) phase and which should be out of (electrical) phase in order to get the best sound.

Check which way the speakers are all connected now (as described by dazultra), and then play with changing the phase on them. All in electrical phase is usually NOT the way to go.

HTH

Mark

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
True which is why i recomended that little CD thing. It's ideal for setting up sound equipment as you can adjust things like phase and all that until each test sounds correct. Then you can sit back and enjoy in the satisfaction that your system sounds as good as it's going to without new stuff.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys.
I'll have a dabble in it tomorow.
Theres no colour coding and I took the original terminal off, otherwise it wouldnt of fitted my kenwood speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts