MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
China's biggest PC and consumer electronics manufacturer the Lenovo Group (fomerly Legend Computers) has just bought IBM's consumer PC division.

While the Lenovo Group is a not a state-owned corporation, acquisitions of this scale must have some form of government involvement. What has all this got to do with MGR you ask?

I'm just wondering if the Chinese government, masters in propaganda and ever eager to announce good news, actually has some form of schedule in approving multinational JV's, mergers, acquisitions etc and they time it so that there is a constant flow of newsworthy items to remind the people of the country's "successes" in economic reform? Which is one reason why they were upset about the British press reporting the details of the JV?

Of course, this doesn't take into account the complexities of the MGR/SAIC deal and obviously it's entirely plausible that many details are yet to be finalised as we speak.

·
Registered
838 Posts
On a related note, I was talking to one of my professors who knows alot of chinese people and goes there alot, and he says that they are all quietly determined to have their revenge on the West for the embarrassments of the Opium wars etc. This worries me a great deal; personally I think MGR are gonna get majorely shafted here.

As Machiavelli said -you should never allie yourself with a larger power than yourself -after you've beaten your joint enemy, there's no guarantee they wont turn round and swallow you too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts