MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last month or so the other halfs TF has lost about a pint of coolant, but the oil has no sign of "mayo", but as its an O2 with 24K on the clock the dreaded you know what is looming. First thing I'm going to try is a new cap for the coolant bottle & pray!!!
I'm getting paranoid about it now, but can't convince the other half to check the level regularly.....

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
check the under floor pipes and the bleed bolt on the rad for leaks as well Neil. I'd also get it pressure tested as well. The expansion bottle cap is a good start tho ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm in the middle of changing my cam belt/waterpump/tensioner, and have checked all the coolant pipes. I'm amazed at the number of joints that have been weeping. It's an 02 as well, using a drop of water mysteriously. Oil is clear by the way. I've cleaned, repainted the metal stubs, renewed a couple of hoses, replaced a lot of the more crucial hose clips with proper ones. The worst corrosion was the top hose stub.
None of this was visible with a pressure test - so check your joints!!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,298 Posts
Neil.R said:
I'm getting paranoid about it now, but can't convince the other half to check the level regularly.....
I would if you can invest £100 and a morning of your time in a Brown & Gammons coolant alarm, that way even if the coolant does drop an alarm will sound and you other half will have to do something about it.:)

The leak could be coming from the water pump, has the cam belt been changed yet? If not have the water pump changed when the cam belt is done at the next service just in case.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've told her, either she looks after the TF, or it goes & its replaced by a new shiny Triumph Tiger motorcycle that due out later this year, that should focus her thoughts on the TF!!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
on the subject of coolant - i've noticed tonight that the water is bubbling in the bottle though no sign of fluid loss or overheating - is this normal ?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
scuzza said:
on the subject of coolant - i've noticed tonight that the water is bubbling in the bottle though no sign of fluid loss or overheating - is this normal ?
Hmmm, the system is under pressure to prevent boiling. I'm not sure if that indicates a small leak somewhere causing a pressure drop.......

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,298 Posts
I would say is normal as the coolant is being pumped around the system. It depends on how aggressively bubbling it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts