·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
It can be done if kept in moderation.

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,230 Posts
Andy Steward put it on his 214SEi he got 156bhp in total wiht ported head and all that, think he was only using a 25bhp shot tho.

Sie

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Andy S's 214SEi engine is heavily modified to take the extra pressure in the cylinders. He has uprated head bolts, valves, guides etc etc.
Steve

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,230 Posts
Steve220 said:
Andy S's 214SEi engine is heavily modified to take the extra pressure in the cylinders. He has uprated head bolts, valves, guides etc etc.
Steve
i read his spec and cant remember him having uprated bolts i no he had some head work done, wiht the valves, used something off another car , but other than that jst ported and flowed.

i sin NOS fitted to a zed before nothing special and a 35 shot but all in all i dont think it worth it really to a 1.4 doesnt make much difference. Better of putting it on a 120, Matts ZS does well off it jst got to get the Jets set-up rite.

Sie

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There's not much you would need to do for higher cylinder pressures. The head doesnt care too much about them as the pressure keeps valves shut anyway.

As for head bolts you can't get any uprated ones for the K series.

Remember the 1.4 is a lot stronger than the 1.8k

·
Registered
702 Posts
you can have them custom made mate, the head bolts, I know people who can make me titanium ones if i had the money, which i dont so eeehh haha :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
dont the k series bolts have to strech - not sure that titanium would have the same thermal properties - and therefore expand less or more than you would like when it all warmed up...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sie said:
i sin NOS fitted to a zed before nothing special and a 35 shot but all in all i dont think it worth it really to a 1.4 doesnt make much difference.
Sie
I beg to differ on this point. For a laugh we put a 50 shot on the Metro Gti 1.4 which made it a match on acceleration for a ZS180.

we also have a 1.8 with forged pistons sitting in the garage waiting to be transplanted into Cookies new Metro, so that'll also be getting a shot of Gas.

Clare

·
Registered
702 Posts
snellgrc said:
dont the k series bolts have to strech - not sure that titanium would have the same thermal properties - and therefore expand less or more than you would like when it all warmed up...
Well I know of at least one person in the midst of doing this.

But isnt Titanium a faily flexable metal in its own right? under high loads it would stretch or what not but be able to retain its original structure again?

well thats what i heard from an airline mechanic who works on rolls royce turbines anyway?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
snellgrc said:

You are absolutely right - the through bolts on K series engines are designed to stretch at the same rate as the alloy block when in tension at the correct torque.

If the bolts are replaced with uprated ones the bearing ladder is distorted and the main bearings run tight - leading to catastrphic engine failure!

The original spec through bolts are good for over 300 BHP on forced induction engines with uprated internals - more than adequate for a 40 shot of NOS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts