MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nooo! My wheel nut key just broke! EDIT: + Which new nuts?

Help!

My Wheel nut key just broke! I was putting the last crank on the last nut and the bugger just bent and snapped!

I have done a search and I don`t think it is a standard wheel nut?? The key has 4 unevenly spaced prongs on it and obviously the nut has 4 holes in which the prongs on the key fit. Does this sound like the standard locking wheel nut.

I`m worried, all 4 wheels are on and I`m happy they are tight...but i can`t get them off now!!

Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cheapest solution I found to this prob with my car was to drive to a scrapyard and ask them to take off the lock nuts for me - and supply some replacement std ones, they used a counter threaded socket, took about 15 minutes and cost a tenner.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If it's the standard locking wheel nuts that you've got then there will be a number on the socket. If you go to an X-Part dealer they should be able to get you a new socket pretty cheaply.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been talked about openly before so I think it's too late for trying to keep it out of the public domain.
LOL could one of you please explain then or pm :D That was almost like you are teasing me! :guns3:

I`ll be honest, I don`t really want to buy a new key as I hate the wheel nuts....would rather just get them off and get something better. The caps are orange plastic things !!

Chris

·
Registered
mgf
39 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
My mate snapped two of his. The small pin in the middle to hold the key on.
Went to one garage: Come back tomorrow we have the special tools to remove them. Cost: £10.
Second garage: Didnt wanna touch it. Said there very hard to get off once thats happened, so bad that he once had to gas off the stud on the wheel. Told us to try a specailist.
Third Garage: Said he'll see what he can do. Put the key in an impact driver and came off no problem. Cost: £5.

So some people say this and other say that. They'll come off, just got to find the right garage.
(BTW the garage that got them off is a VERY good place. Helpful and cheap, if anyone is interested.)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys...like Chris T said, don`t like the idea of slamming a socket over the top..... a) new socket set b) "slamming, brute force, hitting hard" don`t go well together with the word MGF.

:D

I`ll take it down to my mates garage, not spoke to him yet and he may be able to get it off. If all else fails I`ll bring the hammer out.

----------

So that I don`t have to start a new thread, can anyone recommend any new locking wheel nuts?

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts