MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Non-working TF heater knob (no heat, just swivels!)

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mgfnortheast 
#1 ·
I wondered whether anyone might be able to give me some advice on this please: The heater knob in my new TF doesn't work - the knob just swivels 360 degrees and doesn't alter the heat when the fan is on. I've tried pushing the knob in to try and get some 'traction' but it doesn't make any difference. Has the spline gone on the back, so I need a new knob, or has the cable come out of the back or something?

I don't want to confuse issues but the coolant never gets hot, apart from if you're stuck in traffic when it goes to a normal level - the HG has been done before I bought the car, it just seems very 'stable'. I don't think this is the problem, it's definitely the knob doesn't 'grip'. Sorry to use such crap terms!

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

#2 ·
Can you pull the knob off completely and examine it? The spindle on one of ours was split when we got the car, and it would rotate freely. Worth checking to see if that's what has happened. There is a metal collet that fits inside the knob spindle too, this might have come loose/missing, so worth looking for that too.

Simple checks before you start worrying about heater issues :)

#3 ·
Easy way to check is to remove the knob, and taking a pair of long nosed pliers turn the spigot that the knob sits on, it should go through about 270 degrees laft to right, if it rotates then take off the side panel by where your left leg is when you sit in the car and rotatae the spigot whilts looking at the wrire it is attached to as it may have come loose there.

My money is on the knob though, I had the same problem, not expensive, so don't worry to much.

#4 ·
hi all
noticed you have an n reg mg f this is more than likely one of the first produced , if you chech your chassis number against what info is on here ...somewhere ...you can find out what number in the production line your car was
do not post it on here as security could be an issue

p.s. i will try to find the link for you........unless somebody beats me to it

Paul D

#6 ·
hi all
noticed you have an n reg mg f this is more than likely one of the first produced
Yes, it is an early one - in four figures off of the production line - exported to Japan so is the higher spec. It's a great car, very low mileage (28K), although unfortunately I have to sell it soon - or sell the TF, I'm not sure which I'll keep. They're so different. Decisions, decisions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.