MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TF wont start i think it ran out of fuel, i've put 4 litres in it and now i'm not getting a thing. I've checked fuse 23 and thats ok and also the fuel cut out switch. Any idea's?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,181 Posts
You may now have a blocked fuel filter, it costs around £10 and is worth changing anyway just in case.

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
I ran out of fuel years ago, car I had at the time was filled up with about 4 litres (as in your case) - it was what I had left in the plastic petrol container I use for the lawnmower. Car still woudn't start, I checked a few other things with no luck before deciding to put in another gallon of fuel, after which it started fine.

Just a long shot but worth trying, just in case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've put an extra gallon in and now the guage is just above the red, I can't here my fuel pump going though i'm sure i used to before. I've pushed the button in the boot and it seems all the way in. Anymore idea's because i'm going mental with it at the moment :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you changed the filter yet?
I havent because i've not heard the fuel pump going so my thoughts are going with that at the mo, my dad was moving the car when it packed in. the car has only done 13K so i didn't think it was that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not yet it would be very hard to do were the car is. I've taken the fuel filter off and there is no fuel inside or in the lines at all. I've removed the Fuel cut out valve and that is showing continuity. Its not looking good i'm afraid :( only had any hasstle since it went in for its MOT its been fine for two years grrr

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
Is the engine actually turning over at all? If it is a fuelling problem it should still turn over.

If it isn't turning over then it culd be starter solenoid or immbliser.

If it is turning over then change the fuel filter. It is only a few pounds and takes all of 2 minutes to do.

Shaf

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine is spinning ok but i'm not hearing the fuel pump or getting any fuel from it, Ive take the hoses of the filter and there is nothing getting to the filter. Is there a relay for the fuel pump? sorry for so many questions but i'm panicing abit

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
No, as far as I can see from the diagrams, the relay coil does take its signal from the ECU but the relay is separate. Have you pit a meter across the fuel pump feed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tried but i'm not sure which is for the pump and which is for the fuel level, I got 6v across one but nothing across the other. My fuel gauge is work so i'm guessing its that. I've had a look in the back by the ECU but i can't see any thing that looks like a relay

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've taken the fuel pump out the car and found out which wires do what. I'm getting 11.7 volt for few seconds at the pump wire then it is 0 until i crank the engine then its about 10 volts. The other wires are to the gauge and are 6v all the time so its looking like the fuel pumps gone. I also connected it to the battery and still got nothing from it :( :( :( :( Its a BMW pump too

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've put my new fuel pump and it started :) just got the worry now as to why the first one failed so easily running out of fuel shouldn't do that :( Its going to be hard to replace the MG i love it so much but i just don't think i can trust it after the last few weeks. only thing that appeals is the Seat Ibiza Cupra and no more roof down :( :( :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts