MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a Rover 400 97 p reg. It was fine saturday and have never had any problems with starting as such....

suddenly this morning going out to it, it won't start. All other electrics are fine, central locking, lights, stereo etc are all fine.

The car just turns over and over and over, never tries to fire at all.........

tried rechargiung the battery to no avail....

any ideas please?

Rich

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
firstly, check the battery, how many amps is it reading?

Is the fuel cut off switch pushed down?

Check distrubutor/replace rotor arm
Pull sparks out, is there a spark?

Fuel filter?
Petrol in tank? (sounds silly but your sender unit may have gone AWOL)

Have you tried some easy start, great tool for hekping fire an engine up, may tell you if fuel is getting to the engine too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies so far dudes!

right....has been wet over night and it was last driven Saturday night with no problems at all....

Where is the fuel cut off switch???

there is pterol in the tank as the guage reads half....so no probs there...

have charged battery for a couple of hours and it made no difference whatsoever :(

Petrol....1.6!

Cheers guys, appreciated...i think its AA time tomorrow :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lates said:
Cap / arm and leads or next stage a crank sensor.
distributor cap???

how i can i tell if its knacered?? rotor arm?? how can i tell? do i just pop it off and check it?? battery still connected etc?

Battery was replaced 2 years ago and should still be fine....

cars done 103k........

leads replaced 2 years ago as well.....

crank sensor where is this?

When you turn the key it keeps turning over and over and over, till you can smell fuel.......it doesn't bite or fire AT ALL.... :(

·
Registered
585 Posts
Funkyfin2000 said:
thanks for the replies so far dudes!

right....has been wet over night and it was last driven Saturday night with no problems at all....

Where is the fuel cut off switch???

there is pterol in the tank as the guage reads half....so no probs there...

have charged battery for a couple of hours and it made no difference whatsoever :(

Petrol....1.6!

Cheers guys, appreciated...i think its AA time tomorrow :(
I had a bad starting problem on my previous Rover 400 but only in wet or damp weather, especially overnight, it even cut out sometimes if I went through a puddle I got paranoid about even going out in wet weather. It was Ok after it dried out, but it sometimes took a couple of hours, I had already replaced the entire ignition system. A mechanic friend advised me to clean the distributor cover and all the leads and then spray with a silicone spray, not WD40, after spraying wipe the excess out to leave a thin film over everything - This cured it and I never had the problem again. I hope this may help you.

Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
i had the exact same problem few months ago,everything you have mentioned to look at was perfect,i took it to the garage and they said it was the e.c.u,i had a new e.c.u installed and have never had the problem since!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See my new thread...the problem has occured again....
but it appears to be something to do with the fuel pump....as its not humming and priming..... :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts