Votes: 2 66.7%
  • LHD

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it's a bank holiday, as I was walking past the traffic jam to go shopping in the terrible rain, I noticed that not all RHD cars' windscreen wipers are actually set up for RHD.

Conventional wipers that are set up for RHD have their blades pointing to the left when they are down. In operation, they curve up to the right and at the top of their cycle, the right-hand one is upright to the right of the driver's field of vision and between the driver and the left-hand one is upright between driver and passenger.

Ignoring MGs and Rovers, and also unconventional solutions like the single-blade Merc, here is a place to note down the cars which have each. For the vast majority of non-Japanese cars nowadays, I imagine setting uo the wipers differently is a bit of an afterthought...

I begin with the Peugeot 206. The RHD model clearly has LHD wipers.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Jaguar X Type, the RHD ones have RHD wiper setup and the LHD ones have LHD wiper setup. Not sure about the rest of the range but I'd be surprised if they didn't follow suit.

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
apparantly the mk1 zafira's are set up for lhd!!!!!!!!

anybody noticed the error!!!
they are butterfly style .i.e sweep from the middle to the outside!!!!!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Surprisingly the BMW 5 Series (former and current style) has LHD wiper set-up on RHD vehicles, it gives a wonderful clear screen for the front seat passenger, bit of a bugger for the driver though !

Peugeot 206 and Renault Clio are the most common examples, the Pug is particularly bad with a considerable amount of the driver's vision being obscured by a wet windscreen.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David Lee Newsham said:
Surprisingly the BMW 5 Series (former and current style) has LHD wiper set-up on RHD vehicles, it gives a wonderful clear screen for the front seat passenger, bit of a bugger for the driver though !

Peugeot 206 and Renault Clio are the most common examples, the Pug is particularly bad with a considerable amount of the driver's vision being obscured by a wet windscreen.
Yes, the B-reg MkII Golf was like that but IIRC the F-reg version of the same car had RHD wipers!

The Merc to which I refer was a "P" reg, presumably before fancy wipers. Though RHD, it definitely was set up for LHD.

I noticed in the local B*W dealership that apparently all the second-hand cars - mainly recent 3 and 5 series - the wipers were LHD. Only the 1-series looked to have RHD wipers...

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
You would have thought they would design something a bit better than a piece of rubber going against the screen to move water out the way.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
You would have thought they would design something a bit better than a piece of rubber going against the screen to move water out the way.
true, there's only a few cars with "non-conventional" wipers and even those are pieces of rubber.

Noticed today that an M-reg MkIII Golf had LHD wipers but an S-reg MkIV had RHD, while an old model Scenic had RHD but the new one has LHD.

A "51" reg large Jag had LHD! but pride of place goes to a 70s Midget with small wipers affixed as though for LHD...they were quite small, though, so the effect could be different...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts