MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a spare hour yesterday and took off the intake with the intention of letting rip with the saw (Got the 3 screws straight out by inserting a large flat blade screwdriver under slam panel between fixing and metal and applying downwards pressure).

Having got the intake off I lost my bottle at performing instant irreversable surgery:shake: and just had a think about how narrow the twin slots are that form the intake end.
From what I could see under the slam panel with intake removed there is a spray guard and very little obvious clear airflow to intake entry, what little gap there was seemed to be at sides (where the twin inlets are).

Now to the mod, I took a hot air blower (paint gun) and heated the areas between the rubber fixing and the plastic pillars until flexible, then inserted the rounded handle of a large screwdriver to open up and flare the entry. Pouring cold water on with the screwdriver still inserted 'sets' the new shape. Did this on all sections of the mouth and also by inserting the screwdriver deeper managed to widen the area between the mouth and the bellows.

Result is a rounder, wider opening retaining all existing fixings. Completely invisible from engine bay. Re-fitted it to the car and I am convinced that there is a noticeable difference today, pull away is swifter, smoother and car revvs and pulls much more freely well above 3000rpm.

Try it, you can always take the saw to it anyway if not impressed.
Simon

·
Registered
128 Posts
SimonB said:
Had a spare hour yesterday and took off the intake with the intention of letting rip with the saw (Got the 3 screws straight out by inserting a large flat blade screwdriver under slam panel between fixing and metal and applying downwards pressure).

Having got the intake off I lost my bottle at performing instant irreversable surgery:shake: and just had a think about how narrow the twin slots are that form the intake end.
From what I could see under the slam panel with intake removed there is a spray guard and very little obvious clear airflow to intake entry, what little gap there was seemed to be at sides (where the twin inlets are).

Now to the mod, I took a hot air blower (paint gun) and heated the areas between the rubber fixing and the plastic pillars until flexible, then inserted the rounded handle of a large screwdriver to open up and flare the entry. Pouring cold water on with the screwdriver still inserted 'sets' the new shape. Did this on all sections of the mouth and also by inserting the screwdriver deeper managed to widen the area between the mouth and the bellows.

Result is a rounder, wider opening retaining all existing fixings. Completely invisible from engine bay. Re-fitted it to the car and I am convinced that there is a noticeable difference today, pull away is swifter, smoother and car revvs and pulls much more freely well above 3000rpm.

Try it, you can always take the saw to it anyway if not impressed.
Simon
Sounds interesting... Can you post some pictures pls?

Rob

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Even if you cut out the middle section it's invisible and can't be seen. I would still open up the middle section - why would you want to go back, this is a proven modificiation and can't be seen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ti Rich said:
Even if you cut out the middle section it's invisible and can't be seen. I would still open up the middle section - why would you want to go back, this is a proven modificiation and can't be seen.
Of course you are right Rich, you cannot see it anyway if you cut it away.

Was just offering a potential alternative to those that don't want to run risk of insurers not paying up when their front ended car is displaying an obviously modified (Possibly not declared??) intake. You could argue that a bit of reshaped plastic is just engine heat induced if spotted at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts