MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - hope you can help or share similar experiences.

I've recently purchased (privately) an '04 ZR 160 with 4,000mls on the clock and have noticed it has a loud tick-over. To give you an idea of how it sounds, some people say it resembles the engine of an old diesel!!

My local Rover MG dealer say that although the 160 is a loud engine, this is too loud. It's passed a diagnostics check so my only option now is an engine strip to see if there is piston wear/damage - £££!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
hmmmm

it is a loud engine the vvc, bought a 4000mile vi in 1997 and my dad scoffed it was a taxi - nothing wrong though.

does this go away when its warm, what about oil change and what type ?

as for strip - is it worth the hassle ? is performace affected ( doubt it) and do you have a warranty?

mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't seem that different when warm. When i got the car home and checked it over, I noticed oil level was on MIN so topped it up with 1 litre of 10W40. Its due it's 2nd service in Aug. Performance doesn't seem to be affected but I wouldn't know any different. No warranty cos I did transfer it in time!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Defo flush the engine and change the oil. Even if it makes no difference, it won't do any harm. I change my oil every 6 months/3000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts