MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some advice please, anyone. Should I be concerned about loud rasp - like noise when I release the clutch of my 75CDT under load in first gear? Loud enough to turn heads. Car has 32k on clock. No sign of any leaks, judder or slippage. I'm new to 75s

Many thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
MY ZT-T does this as well, under load in first gear on pull off or in reverse. I have been told by numorous people that it is nothing to be too worried about, probably the clutch release bearing or the clutch plate.

The guy I spoke to at MGR Direct in Longbridge last week said that many 75s / ZTs did this and it would not cause the clutch to go any earlier then it will go anyway. Whether this is 100% accurate we'll have to wait and see.

When the garage checked it out and I informed that I have warranty, they advised that it may be release bearing or clutch plate but to find out for sure the clutch would have to be strpped down and if the warranty would not cough I was left with the bill, so I passed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There are several threads on this and the "Gurus" site about this. It is apparently the clutch friction plate which originally was unsprung and caused vibration on engagement . Later versions have shock absorber springs around the hub (which is normal practice ! ) . I have suffered with this "squawk" when moving off when i first got the car, but as i got used to the clutch I seem to have compensated for it and I dont get it any more . It's not in itself a reason to change the clutch , i believe ..............

·
Registered
116 Posts
My late 04 model ZT-T 190 has done it for the last 12 mths & 25k miles and other than the embarasment it is no detriment and I beleive the problem to be the release bearing

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Well whatever the reason it is damn annoying and very embarrasing it is also more importantly a very good way to put off potential buyers when it comes time to sell up.

My cdt had a new clutch and all the trimmings at 30,000 at a cost of over £1000 (to previous owner) and it squeals like a pig of to Walls holiday camp, If there is a modified version I either have not got one or they don't work either

·
Registered
320 Posts
My ZT 160 V6 had been making that noise on the clutch since i bought it. I am a bit of a numpty and believed the garage who said it was because it is a hydraulic clutch. Just after warranty ran out, the clutch died. It was the slave cylinder inside the gearbox which was apparently making that noise. I needed a new clutch, new slave cylinder etc... Cost a bloody arm and a leg to sort. If in doubt, check it out...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the tips. I will get the local garage to investigate for me this week and report back

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
chris75 said:
There are several threads on this and the "Gurus" site about this. It is apparently the clutch friction plate which originally was unsprung and caused vibration on engagement . Later versions have shock absorber springs around the hub (which is normal practice ! ) . I have suffered with this "squawk" when moving off when i first got the car, but as i got used to the clutch I seem to have compensated for it and I dont get it any more . It's not in itself a reason to change the clutch , i believe ..............
The above is correct. MGR replaced the 'old' plate for an uprated one with springs under warranty but only if the owner complained about the noise. If the owner didn't mention the problem the dealer would not fix it. I only mentioned it in passing and my dealer said as you have told us we can now change it under warranty. It is not a problem to have the noise as far as the clutch is concerned. Mine was changed at 12k and there was no sign of wear at all on the old one.

Ken

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ken75 said:
The above is correct. MGR replaced the 'old' plate for an uprated one with springs under warranty but only if the owner complained about the noise. If the owner didn't mention the problem the dealer would not fix it. I only mentioned it in passing and my dealer said as you have told us we can now change it under warranty. It is not a problem to have the noise as far as the clutch is concerned. Mine was changed at 12k and there was no sign of wear at all on the old one.

Ken
I wonder if the newer 3rd party warranty schemes will agree to cover the change? At around £500.00 cost to me if they dont I will not be risking it.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
fmfanuk said:
I wonder if the newer 3rd party warranty schemes will agree to cover the change? At around £500.00 cost to me if they dont I will not be risking it.
I would think not to be honest but its always worth asking. I think the 3rd party warranties have to have proof that a part is faulty but of course in this case it isn't, its just annoying.

Ken

·
Registered
rover_75
120 Posts
Clutch on my CDT felt funny (creaking) when I test drove it but salesman said they all feel like that. When I got the car home , heard the squealing noise and took it straight back. The dealer stripped out the clutch and found the flywheel had broken and damaged the clutch!! Due to get the car back on Monday, 2 weeks later. Is this a one-off or has anyone else experienced similar?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sounds like a one of icogger. I've not heard of a broken fly-wheel before. Its good to get a new clutch out of it though.

AL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts