MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

hope all is enjoying the long weekend. ive noticed from the purchase of my zr, how noisy it is in the cabin, mostly from the engine, i dont think there is any sound proofing in the car atall lol.
ive noticed that on my dad's BMW, under the bonet there seems to be this insulation stuff. (under the bonet)

im woundering is there any way i can do the same sort of thing to mine or would it be a waste of time. it would just be nice to get get a bit more quiet when i have my radio turned down.

thanks all!

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Yes I know. My 56 plate MK2 ZR is lacking in some noise insulation. I have also noticed the boot carpet is thinner too. I done 7.5K in it and I am not sure about this one. I think MGR went a bit too far with cost cutting. For a company desperate to sell cars I see no point in reducing the quality if you are trying to impress. Well thats all history now. I am going to give it a couple of months then decide whether to turn me back on MGR cars, maybe time to move on now. Trouble is it is probably worth peanuts now.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I don't think it's the underbonnet soundprooofing you need to worry about. It's the soundproofing between the bulkhead and the cabin that deadens most of the noise from the engine.
Having said that I don't find out ZR noisy at all, no noisier than any other K series I've driven. In fact it's on par or quieter than my Vi and my 1.4 I used to have.

If you wanted a quiet engine you shouldn't have bought a ZR, it's design point wasn't quietness. The focus was more on power/economy.
If you want silence go and buy a 75.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some noises you will not eliminate, a lot of the noise is probably to do with tyre noise, low profiles on the 17in are quite noisy a constant droning sound, and well depending what engine you have, all of the petrol engines are always working hard to keep this car going, i wouldnt worry about it i think we all have the same problem as you, like said previously the car has not been designed to be quiet, it has been designed to be a drivers car who wants to be involved and hear and feel what the car is doing!! And for the under bonnent insultation i removed mine and i cannot tell the difference

1 - 6 of 6 Posts