MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to help? I have just taken posession of a Rover 600 SLDi. So far I am happy with the car and had it fitted with new Cambelt, tensioners, oil, fuel and air filters. I am impressed with the MPG and got nearly 500 miles from a tank of derv. The only fault is the noisey Gearbox. When I start off it is noisey throughout the gears (especially the lower ones) and doesn't really let up. When I accelerate on the Motorway in 5th its is also quite whinny. Would anyone think this is a thrust bearing or possible clutch noise or is it a new gearbox job? The only other fault is that the car is slow off the mark and could do with more low down grunt. I have read with interest the posts of others who have tuned this engine with 'Rover Ron's' Tuning box but wonder is my gearbox is up to it?

Any help or advice is much welcomed and the car has just turned to 146000 miles.

Ta vmuch,

Mupps.

·
Registered
938 Posts
First thing i would do, is check the oil level in the gearbox and go from there.
If its whining now, adding more power with the ron box will kill i really fast due to the extra torque.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta for the response. Its just been serviced and the levels are ok. Thats a shame as I reckon that Tune Box is a required item. Food for thought though.

Ta,

Mupps.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
146,000 miler you can expect some noises from any car. If as appears the case here you like the car then it's worth having the gearbox overhauled with a set of new bearings. However, firstly you must ascertain that it is in fact the gearbox that those noises are coming from.

A better alternative and one I'd certainly take is that if it is gearbox wear, seek a replacement gearbox from a breaker diesel 620 and have that repaired. These cars are reaching life expirey and are turning up more frequently in breaker yards.

Chances are the box will only need both differential bearings and the input shaft bearing replaced. Meantime continue to drive the car carefully and when the refurbished gearbox is ready, swap it for the worn one. I believe it's a 4 or five hour job 'in the book' for the well equipped workshop.

Then repair the old box and keep it as a handy spare or sell it on ebay as a refurbished box. Someone somewhere will need a replacement just like you now appear to do.

Careful searching of ebay will turn up TWO premium Quality SKF 6208 differential bearings and a single NTN input shaft bearing for a tad under 35 quid and that will include postage.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I'd still double check the oil level, as I'm not sure it is on the service schedule as the oil is never scheduled to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all your advice. thats brill and I might just do what was recommended regarding rebuiliding an old box and then transfering it. If the box wasnlt noisey I reckon these 600 Diesels would be seriously quiet...its a comfy underatted car.

Think i might check those levels to be sure...E.T.V you could be right!

Many thanks,

Mupps.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
Thanks guys for all your advice. thats brill and I might just do what was recommended regarding rebuiliding an old box and then transfering it. If the box wasnlt noisey I reckon these 600 Diesels would be seriously quiet...its a comfy underatted car.

Think i might check those levels to be sure...E.T.V you could be right!

Many thanks,

Mupps.
Don't forget ~ if the box has run low on lubricant for a few thousand miles, topping up might not make any difference if the damage is already done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice MG John. I think the solution is to look out for a new Gearbox (secondhand of course) and get it fitted in place. This car really needs some low down urgency as it does feel flat up until 2500-3000rpm. Once I get the box I shall look into the Tuning avenues...

Thanks again,

Mupps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts