MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No replacement for Signum

9 May 2007 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Opel has decided not to replace the Signum so the Vectra will become its top model.

According to auto motor und sport magazine, Opel CEO Carl-Peter Forster has decided to end production of the Signum from summer 2008 and not replace it with a new model.

The magazine said the Signum failed to meet its objective of helping position the Opel brand further upscale. Deleting it will better position Opel to reduce average CO2 emissions of its vehicle fleet.

Earlier this year, another German car magazine reported that the next Signum would be renamed Kapitän, harking back to the name of a medium-sized Opel line in the 1960s and 70s.

According to the latest magazine report, the Tigra Twin Top coupe-cabriolet is also being reconsidered, given its very low volumes.
SOURCE: Just-Auto.com

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm not really surprised ,although they are a fantastic bargin nearly new.

A bit of a shame all the mainstream companys have stopped competing in the luxury market ,now all that's left to choose from are the 'usual suspects'.

I used to love the old Senators ,those 24 valvers were rather quick in their day.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
It's no surprise it won't be replaced. It hasn't been popular and if the new Mondeo is anything to go by, the Vectra will be big enough to replace the Omega too.

I quite like the old Ford Scorpio - ugly as sin but very charming and quite a good car IIRC.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not really surprised ,although they are a fantastic bargin nearly new.

A bit of a shame all the mainstream companys have stopped competing in the luxury market ,now all that's left to choose from are the 'usual suspects'.

I used to love the old Senators ,those 24 valvers were rather quick in their day.
You've summerized just what I was thinking lol. The Signums weren't actually bad cars - much better in my opinion than the boring old Vectra, but unfortunately sales are just too low for Vauxhall to continue manufacturing these luxury cars.

As for the Senators, my dad used to own a 1991 H 3.0 24v Senator, had digital dash, airbags, leather etc; which at the time was something you'd only find on a merc.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
As for the Senators, my dad used to own a 1991 H 3.0 24v Senator, had digital dash, airbags, leather etc; which at the time was something you'd only find on a merc.
It was one of those ,or an 827 SLi , that used to be the default Strathclyde traffic cars.

Loved the two of them ,and even today they'd be damn good cars.

God ,the digi dash in the senators ,takes me back! That's why I always loved the Granada ,Senator and R800 ,big ,good ,**** off cars from the underdog!

Sadly no more :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
I quite like the old Ford Scorpio - ugly as sin but very charming and quite a good car IIRC
I had the "bug eyed" facelift model as a co. car for 2 years around 10 years ago. Looks aside it was comfortable, very reliable, well screwed together and hugely spacious inside.

That's why I always loved the Granada ,Senator and R800 ,big ,good ,**** off cars from the underdog
The Omega was a great car as well. Great V6's (but thirsty) well built, just let down by their plasticky interior. MV6 is a great Q car and they're now cheap as chips.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I
The Omega was a great car as well. Great V6's (but thirsty) well built, just let down by their plasticky interior. MV6 is a great Q car and they're now cheap as chips.
The Omega was a superb car IMO. A friend's dad had one as a company car years ago and even though it was just a mid-spec V6, it was lovely. The facelifted models ahd really nice restyled interiors.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
used to love the old Senators ,those 24 valvers were rather quick in their day.
They were indeed and had a nice balanced rear drive chassis too. I had one and loved it but when I think back the main reason I loved it was because it cost about 35% of its new price at two years old. Great for the buyer but I can see why the manufacturer might not be so keen.

Only the French are left building "executive" segment large cars with mass market brands now.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
One thought occurs: the Signum is to the Vectra what the S-Max is to the Mondeo. The S-Max seems to be selling like hot cakes so it is perhaps a little odd that GM have decided to exit the "not a saloon but not a people carrier" market Ford seem to have found.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
One thought occurs: the Signum is to the Vectra what the S-Max is to the Mondeo. The S-Max seems to be selling like hot cakes so it is perhaps a little odd that GM have decided to exit the "not a saloon but not a people carrier" market Ford seem to have found.
But the S-Max IS a people carrier, the signum is... god knows what

·
Registered
984 Posts
There was talk about Opel importing the Holden Calais-V (upmarket Commodore with leather and the lot) with the 3.6 V6 after the Opel director drove a prototype in Oz and was impressed. No word since.

If this is true then the range would come a full circle, Commodores used to be based on the Opel Rekord/Omega platform, the current one is the first all-Aussie effort.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
There was talk about Opel importing the Holden Calais-V (upmarket Commodore with leather and the lot) with the 3.6 V6 after the Opel director drove a prototype in Oz and was impressed. No word since.
Can't see it with the 3.6 V6, if they can find a decent diesel to fit to it (GM should have one somewhere) it might work.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
679 Posts
By all accounts the Commodore and it's variants are really good cars. The HSV (sporty model) was said to be almost as good as an M5 but for less than half the price in one review I read.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

If this is true then the range would come a full circle, Commodores used to be based on the Opel Rekord/Omega platform, the current one is the first all-Aussie effort.
This never seems to work. Chrysler tried to replace the Humbers with Oz cars like the Valiant but failed miserably and the Monaro has been a flop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts