MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm not very handy with anything to do with cars but I decided to risk it and try to install a new stereo myself. I bought a wiring block adapter and just plugged it straight in and the stereo was working fine, but then I realised that with a huge chunky wiring block the stereo wouldn't fit into the bay. I took the wires off the wiring block then reattached them outside the stereo bay so it would glide in, and it fits but for some reason the stereo has stopped working. In addition, the clock turns off every time the engine is switched off so it resets to 12:00 everytime I turn the ignition on.

The problem is definately with the original wires, not the adapter or the stereo (I've plugged the old stereo back in and it doesn't work either) and the wires have definately been put back into the right place (I've checked about 1000 times!)

if anyone has any idea what it might be it would be greatly appreciated. :)

thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. To attempt what you did is brave as it is possible to set your car alight if the wiring is incorrect. Be very carefull. Did everything work before you did anything? If so your wiring is wrong. You must accept this before you can solve the problem. What car do you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I have a Rover 400.

Yes the wiring is exactly the same as when I changed it. I only unplugged/replugged the wires for the stereo so I have no idea why the clock cuts out as well!

I checked all the fuses and they are all intact. It's driving me nuts driving on long shifts with no music!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
If your old radio does not work I assume that it does not turn on or light up. If this is so you must check for +12 volts and -12 volts at the loom using a volt meter. Hopefully you know someone that can do that for you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your old radio does not work I assume that it does not turn on or light up. If this is so you must check for +12 volts and -12 volts at the loom using a volt meter. Hopefully you know someone that can do that for you.

"-12v" - interesting!?

You should have two 12v supplys - one that switches on and off with the ignition and one that is on all the time. Check with a multimeter - you should find that the red wire on the stereo loom is the switched and the yellow is the permant. ideally you should test with the black probe on the black wire in the stereo's loom (or if the stereo is pugged in any where on the stereo chassis). If either of these are missing then it is most likely a fuse but if all the fuses are ok it is a wiring problem

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Did you check both the fuse under the dash and the one in the engine compartment?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts