MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone come across a problem before where theres no power when you rev but its stuck on at approx 1200rpm? i was told that the throttle potentiometer was sticking,this i have changed but the problem has not gone away......any ideas???
by the way its a 2002 2.0td

thanks
Ralph

·
Registered
500 Posts
sounds like the car is in limp home mode, the ecu is registering a fault and setting the engine to 1200rpm to just get you home etc, not sure what it could be thinking the fault is though, would be better placed in the diesel section

·
Registered
556 Posts
Almost definitely something to do with the throttle position sensor, sounds exactly the same as mine was when I bought it (hence buying it for nearly nothing! :D )

The engine management light may or may not reset itself after the problem goes away, but the problem has apparently not gone away. ;)

Unplug it, give the contacts a damn good clean, and then try it again. Check the wiring coming from the plugs, too, this can get pretty dodgy over time. Worth unplugging the ECU and cleaning that end, too. It's generally a good idea to periodically clean all wiring on an L-series diesel, as that's about the only weak point the engine has!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts