MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, on start up when hot or cold but mainly when warm , initially the idle is very funny, its got to the stage now where i cant pull away as it just starts to cut out. Uncle says it sounds like my big ends have gone any ideas? im about ready to push it off a cliff and would if my excess wasnt so high , oh its a 214 si

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like a thudding sound, then when it warms up it kicks into normal running sounds. i would tow it to a decent garage but ive just moved into a a new house, and besides a decent garage would probably be the equivalent price of buyin another car

·
Registered
521 Posts
You'd be surprised, big end bearings are pretty easy to change
I had a set done on a Mk2 Cavalier SRi130 about 2 years ago and it only cost me £80
Ok so it wasn't a dealer but a local one man show, but I've known him since we we're 8 so I trust him loads plus he has a good rep

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im lookin around as to what i can record it on , video on phone then youtube perhaps? this is also in 2 threads its getting confusing lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
initially the idle is very funny, its got to the stage now where i cant pull away as it just starts to cut out. Uncle says it sounds like my big ends have gone any ideas?
like a thudding sound, then when it warms up it kicks into normal running sounds.
What your describing seems more like a missfire.

This could be caused by a number of things:-

In order of seriousness:-

Worn or sometimes loose spark plugs,
Split/damaged HT leads,
Worn dizzy cap/arm,
Faulty coolant temp sensor,
Faulty TPS (Throttle Position Sensor),
Faulty/blocked injector,

Was it serviced recently? If it hasnt then some parts above may be due for replacement.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i had my plugs changed about a year ago same with leads (minus the main one that goes to the back my hands are too big) then i had my head gasket done and the garage left all the spark plugs loose and the rocker cover. could that have possibly damaged the leads? i think i will buy plugs and sesnor today

1 - 9 of 9 Posts