MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No end to their Negativity apparently ...:(

Despite my vow not to listen to their poxy newsvendings any more, I used my Rover Coupe today and driving home from work, turned on my radio which was preset to Radio Five Live.

"Jayne Garbage", who sounds remarkably like a pasty faced peroxide blond who used to present local TV new on TV back in the middle ages, was in particularly fine negativity form. Here I quote her with one of those "Look how clever we all are on the BBC" asides ... "Who needs MG-Rover" ... Tell that to 30,000 Midlanders who may just feel differently.

Prior to that, she and her joint partner 'presenter' "Peter Alien" (who incidentally drives guess what? - got it in one - A Bavarian Sierra) selected a few recordings from poor souls who are severely affected by the current MG-Rover situation with responses to the question "Who do your blame". Not one mention of the media's share of the blame!

Each selected cooment from 'Longbridge' blamed the Government, or management or you name it ... the Radio Five Live selected comments used included everyone who is to blame apparently except perhaps of the main culprit ... That spearhead of media negativity: The BBC and their parasitically funded newsvendors!

Is their no end to it! Haven't they done enough for crissakes!

·
Registered
631 Posts
MGJohn, I love the fact that you, like so many of the whingers on this website, pounce to criticise what you perceive as unbalanced media coverage and in doing so eagerly resort to personal (and extremely childish) insult and the pedantic picking apart those whose reporting isn't aligned to your own one-sided beliefs.

If, as has been suggested, the media is watching what is said on this forum, I really do fear for what they (or anyone keen to learn more about the fate of MG-Rover) must think of the people who love the company's cars.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Susan said:
MGJohn, I love the fact that you, like so many of the whingers on this website, pounce to criticise what you perceive as unbalanced media coverage and in doing so eagerly resort to personal (and extremely childish) insult and the pedantic picking apart those whose reporting isn't aligned to your own one-sided beliefs.

If, as has been suggested, the media is watching what is said on this forum, I really do fear for what they (or anyone keen to learn more about the fate of MG-Rover) must think of the people who love the company's cars.
I hope you're right Susan and they do scan these sites. I don't think it will make a jot of difference even if they do. They, unlike those poor devils up at Longbridge, are cushioned against reality.

I've emailed the programme on the same lines.

One man's, or in your case woman's whinge is another's valid comment.

Meantime I have received a "Radio Five Live Drive (Auto Reply Message)"...:(

By the way - I've been a critic and here I use your word "whinger" about our heavily biased media since the 1960s and NOT without some justification.. The phenomenum is not new!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Susan said:
pounce to criticise what you perceive as unbalanced media coverage
pedantic picking apart those whose reporting isn't aligned to your own one-sided beliefs.
If you believe that the media coverage is balanced, I challenge you to find at least one article on the BBC site where they talk about MG Rover in a positive light. Perhaps regarding the awards they have won, in particular the Italian magazine who said it was the most beautiful car in the world - surely the BBC would have picked up this story as it would surprise most people?

If you can't find anything, try finding a story that says ANYTHING positive about Britain?

Then see how many positive articles you can find about France or Germany.

No one is asking the media to ignore Rover's shortcomings, but at the same time it would be fair for them to report the good things too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4294709.stm

Morris Marina worst car ever built? Not a Lada, or an early Skoda? Course it couldn't be a foreign car - that would be racist. Surprised they didn't mention the Reliant Robin, but then now that it's owned by the Koreans we can't go dissing that, can we?

One morning on my way to work I was accosted by a newsroom south east crew outside Stratford station, they told me that a year ago a payne of glass had fallen from the roof, nearly killing people, what did I think about it? When I told them, they said "Now I'm going to ask you the same question again, this time I want you to say I feel very let down by London transport". Talk about putting words in peoples mouths! When I searched the BBC site I could find no mention of any glass falling from the room, it was complete nonsense.

I have a friend of a friend who works in the BBC newsroom, and when I told him about it he just laughed - apparently that kind of thing is common.

Since then I've paid closer attention to the news I read, and frankly in anything that I have first hand experience of, the media account is never anything like reality. Missing out vital points, giving too much significance to something unimportant (e.g. Ken Livingstone calling a journalist names made the front page of the Standard for a whole week - one night it got the first 5 pages, ahead of kids shooting at police officers with an air rifle at a crowded tube station in the middle of the afternoon - so much for balance).

Getting back on topic again, people who don't own an MG or a Rover, only have the media to go on. If they are unanimously against it then off course it will become trendy for people up and down the land to say they are rubbish - regardless of the reality.

Of course there were a lot of other issues that caused the downfall of MG Rover, but the media have to take a good chunk of responsibility.

Sorry I don't mean to go on, but it annoys me when people just take what the media tell them without questioning it!

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
And wasn't the 75 the top imported car in Japan last year? Like the Concerto derived 200 was back in the 90s?

And importing cars into Japan:
1. ain't easy
2. has beaten most of the big boys
3. is a laugh when the car was also the alterego of a Honda!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts