MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No backlash says Peugeot UK chief

PIERRE LOUIS Colin, managing director of Peugeot UK, says Coventry remains at the heart of the firm's operations, despite closing down its Ryton operation.

The car-maker still employs around 1,000 people in Coventry. "It's very simple. We have based our national UK operations in Coventry since we came here in 1982, and since then we have always considered Coventry as our base in the UK," he said as the first foundations were being dug at .its new technical centre.

Alonside the technical centre will be the company's new headquarters, representing a £25m investment. The development is due to be completed later this year and become fully operational by next spring.

Upward Trend

He said that there had been no backlash of falling sales following the decision to close Ryton.

"The bottom point for us was in 2005 when our UK market share was 5.9%, but it recovered to 6.2% last year.

"This year is the start of the same upward trend. We will reach our 6.5% target by the end of this year," he forecast.
SOURCE: Autowired

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
An upward trend?!!

you would think that even if the shafting of the Ryton workers didn't have an impact on sales ,the dire quality of the tin they chuck together would.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
What does/will the new Technical centre do?
I'm sure they've got a technical centre just now-I think they're just developing the old Stoke plant ,demolishing the old buildings that aren't needed ,building new ones and selling off the rest of the land.

The 28 days later guys went in there and there were loads of Pugs sitting about-not sure what they do to them there though.

PDI sort of stuff maybe?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The question is who is buying them - I have a suspicion that many are going to the daily rental fleets as all the new ones I have seen 307s mainly have no dealer indications.

This make with its awful quality, bad design and iffy marketing must be on borrowed time. Cars such as the 504 were superb but the current range suggests this maker is just 'over capacity' in the market.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
What were they selling in 2005 and what are they selling now? The 207, 1007, 307 are all brand new. They would have to be utterly incompetant not to sell more cars. A fairer comparison would be between the sales of the 206 and the 207 in their first full year. Pretty sure the sales would be badly down.

The Clio is also kicking their butt at the moment.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
A lot of 307s and 407s go to fleet customers while the 107/207 are in amongst the private buyer top sellers.

Peugeot sales are ok, in fact. The 207 was the 7th best selling car in March
(12,274 units) in the UK and is the 6th best selling for the year to date (17,630) just beating the renault clio by 435 sales, a car that had better march sales.

In terms of the manufacturer showing against rivals:

• Peugeot: March UK Sales: 27,685 (+6.6%) YTD: 43,129 (+0.1%)
  • Renault: March UK Sales: 25,732 (-6.6%) YTD: 36,871 (-7.9%)
  • Citroen: March UK Sales: 18,186 (+8.8%) YTD: 29,368 (+5.5%)
It is in fact Renault that is suffering more. Citroen's growth is somewhat deserved:)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Say Non To The French

Oh how short are peoples memories? Peugeot 307's spontaneously combusting, Citroen Pluriels with leaking roofs and from Renault we get lies in the form of the company knowing they are endangering the lives of their customers and other road users with dodgy bonnet catches. In addition we get from the French 3; worst performing reliability and dealer support from driver surveys, 8 of their cars are at the bottom of these surveys!

Lay off loyal, hardworking, British personnel for workers that are cheaper in non European countries, nice to show they are only pro Europe when it suits them, In addition they use European legislation to peddle their wares and get tax savings although they hardly produce a single car in this country between the 3 of them, nice! In addition to all of that add in amongst the worst depreciation in the market.

So how long before people in this country wake up and say non to these poorly built, unreliable, badly engineered cars from these makers that dont care about your health or that of your family, your wallet with the heavy depreciation and frequent trips to the dealers, who will not look after you. And to cars which are dull, oddly styled (Modus, Vel Satis, Megane, 1007, 107, 207, 307, 407, 607, 807 interesting names! Where is the 507? Berlingo, C5, Pulriel, C2, C1, C3 XTR etc, etc) Over familiar junk or to put it another way: French junk made by peasants, driven by peasants!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Peugeot: March UK Sales: 27,685 (+6.6%) YTD: 43,129 (+0.1%)
[*]Renault: March UK Sales: 25,732 (-6.6%) YTD: 36,871 (-7.9%)
[*]Citroen: March UK Sales: 18,186 (+8.8%) YTD: 29,368 (+5.5%)
The reason for this is that Renault is moving away from reliance on fleet sales. PSA still pursue them and some of their growth will be conquest sales from Renault.
In New Zealand, people rarely buy French, due to the fact they are rubbish. In 2006:
Suzuki Swift 2100 Honda Jazz 1900 Toyota Yaris 1800 Daihatsu Sirion 1600
Peugeot 206 180 Citroen C3/Renault Clio both less than 40.
Toyota Corolla 5300 Ford Focus 2000 Honda Civic 1700 Mazda3 1700 Peugeot 307 550 Citroen C4 /Renault Megane both 80 odd.
I think you get my drift.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Oh how short are peoples memories? Peugeot 307's spontaneously combusting, Citroen Pluriels with leaking roofs and from Renault we get lies in the form of the company knowing they are endangering the lives of their customers and other road users with dodgy bonnet catches. In addition we get from the French 3; worst performing reliability and dealer support from driver surveys, 8 of their cars are at the bottom of these surveys!

Lay off loyal, hardworking, British personnel for workers that are cheaper in non European countries, nice to show they are only pro Europe when it suits them, In addition they use European legislation to peddle their wares and get tax savings although they hardly produce a single car in this country between the 3 of them, nice! In addition to all of that add in amongst the worst depreciation in the market.

So how long before people in this country wake up and say non to these poorly built, unreliable, badly engineered cars from these makers that dont care about your health or that of your family, your wallet with the heavy depreciation and frequent trips to the dealers, who will not look after you. And to cars which are dull, oddly styled (Modus, Vel Satis, Megane, 1007, 107, 207, 307, 407, 607, 807 interesting names! Where is the 507? Berlingo, C5, Pulriel, C2, C1, C3 XTR etc, etc) Over familiar junk or to put it another way: French junk made by peasants, driven by peasants!
I know these things, you know them so what's up? Are there not many thinkers in Britain?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-MGR
And to cars which are dull, oddly styled (Modus, Vel Satis, Megane, 1007, 107, 207, 307, 407, 607, 807 interesting names! Where is the 507? Berlingo, C5, Pulriel, C2, C1, C3 XTR etc, etc) Over familiar junk or to put it another way: French junk made by peasants, driven by peasants!
Glad you at least left the C6 out of that list- probably the only decent looking French car (and strangely, one of the poorest selling). Agree with everything else though.

BTW, what, exactly, is the deal with Peugeot's naming scheme anyway? These (x)xx7 numbers make then sound like either commercial airplanes or old Soviet cars- and at least the Soviet model numbers followed a logical pattern.

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
The question is who is buying them - I have a suspicion that many are going to the daily rental fleets as all the new ones I have seen 307s mainly have no dealer indications.
Any car I buy has no dealer indications within a week of buying it.

Number plates are changed, tax disc holder changed and any silly stickers on the rear window are moved the minute I get the new car home.

Doesn't mean my cars are from a rental fleet.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
The reason for this is that Renault is moving away from reliance on fleet sales. PSA still pursue them and some of their growth will be conquest sales from Renault.
In New Zealand, people rarely buy French, due to the fact they are rubbish. In 2006:
Suzuki Swift 2100 Honda Jazz 1900 Toyota Yaris 1800 Daihatsu Sirion 1600
Peugeot 206 180 Citroen C3/Renault Clio both less than 40.
Toyota Corolla 5300 Ford Focus 2000 Honda Civic 1700 Mazda3 1700 Peugeot 307 550 Citroen C4 /Renault Megane both 80 odd.
I think you get my drift.
Renault's sales losses have been attributed to the clio and megane, one of the reasons why FIAT has now overtaken it again as Europe's 5th largest car maker.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Saw a rare site yesterday in Milton Keynes: a previous-model Megane. For such a high selling car, it's now a rarer site than a Maestro...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts