MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Which day would you prefer to go to Longbridge to show your support?

• Monday 11th

Votes: 57 28.6%
  • Sat 16th

Votes: 94 47.2%
  • Sun 17th

Votes: 82 41.2%
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm concerned that we won't get enough people along on Monday, so if there was one next Sat / Sun, who could go to that?

Please tick the days you could attend, it will give us an idea of what to do, as far as I know, XPF still intend to go on Monday.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
scottdog said:
it needs to be monday to make an impact, people should just callin sick to work
No car, so I can't come, but I reckon if you go on Monday, there's a chance you could get on the news, in the papers, and possibly speak to John Towers or some of the other directors. Might be a good idea to print of the petition and hand that to either JT or someone from PWC too.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is though that people can't just call in sick! Some will, some won't. You've also got other problems with students (ok, most would love an excuse to miss some lectures but again some won't.)

But you only have to read the thread on here to see that most people prefer a weekend. Although, I'd admit, a weekday and Monday would be better.

But what's better - a huge gathering on Sat / Sun or a small one on Monday. It could actually do more harm than good for 50 or 60 cars to show up on Monday rather than perhaps 100-200 on Saturday. It'll also give more time to let people know what is going on and how they can help. We need numbers and a large one at that.

Do you want to see the coverage in the press - 'MGR Enthusiasts stage support demonstration & only 50 cars turn up. If the enthusiasts don't care, why should anyone else.'

We CANNOT let that happen.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Monday should still go ahead, its in the press already. To get the most turnout next weekend would be best - but will any of the press be there, and if so which day?

·
Registered
882 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Do you want to see the coverage in the press - 'MGR Enthusiasts stage support demonstration & only 50 cars turn up. If the enthusiasts don't care, why should anyone else.'

We CANNOT let that happen.
This is why a rendezvous needs to be made before the cars file into Longbridge - if it looks like a joke it can be called off.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gnnw196 said:
This is why a rendezvous needs to be made before the cars file into Longbridge - if it looks like a joke it can be called off.
Yeah, but you won't be able to go into Longbridge, there's no room! You'd have to park up on the park opposite Q gate.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stoney6883 said:
Why not tomorrow ? plenty of people said they would turn up tomorrow on the other thread
I think tbh, we'd do both dates anyway...

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I'm sure there are several users on here who can't aford to take a day of work on Monday, because it is possibly the last Monday they might get paid for in a while!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can't take a Monday off work :( , so I voted for next Sunday. In reality, I could be there either Saturday or Sunday.
However, I reckon that a showing of support on Monday by those that can be there will make the most impact with the media and Joe Public.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
I think Monday should go ahead, and will be great.

I can't call in sick, i am a Temp, and they hate Monday sicki people, and tend to fire them if they get half an excuse, but next weekend i can be there.

Only drive a 216 coupe though, still a Rover tho!! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
scottdog said:
it needs to be monday to make an impact, people should just callin sick to work
You can't just call in sick! I feel for those Longbridge workers who may lose their job, but i wouldn't lose mine for the sake of theirs i'm afraid!

·
Registered
143 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Yeah, but you won't be able to go into Longbridge, there's no room! You'd have to park up on the park opposite Q gate.
Block the entrance to Longbridge! Now that would make an impact! And now the suppliers have pulled the plug, even though PWC have told workers to still go to work, they can't do anything becausse they havn't got the parts to build the cars! So it wouldn't matter blocking the gates!

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
From the perspective of making an impact, a weekend date is by far a better choice as Saturday and Sunday are both comparatively slow news days and anything that happens will invariably end up in Monday morning's paper.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
has to be

Each day has it pro's and cons. But sooner rather then later!!!!
Monday is a good day in terms of maximum press coverage as they are probably expecting some kind of announcement from the administrators.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How about a demo involving all Longbridge workers and anyone else willing to show support through central London calling for the saviour of MGR to come forward and protesting at the fact that since Labour came to power in 1997 more than a million manufacturing jobs have been lost in Britain? It'd take a hell of alot of organising but it would allow MGR workers and former employees of collapsed manufacturing companies in Britain to vent their frustration and anger at the government for letting British industry die.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts