MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car - Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0L year 2000, (petrol) miles - 57,000

Given that on my last car the engine was ruined due to the timing belt going (Audi A4) I do not want to take the same chance. Has anyone else had these belts changed in a garage in NI? Would you recommend a main dealer and/or xpart dealer or can independent garages manage this job on this car?

I see from the other forums prices ranging from £300 for all 3 changed, fully inclusive of parts, labour, vat to £1,000!!

I live in the ards area but am happy to travel for a good price, but more importantly reliable and trustworthy service

would love to hear your experiences, many thanks

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Im confused, you mention the 2.0L series engine which is a diesel model, but state petrol. What is the vehicle cc in the tax book. If its 1796cc then its the 1.8k series.

There is only 1 timing belt on the 1.8k, plus the power steering and alternator belt if thats what you mean.

Buy a Heinz manwell (Haynes) its easier than you think and it would save you a fortune. Engine doesnt have to come out, just remove timing covers and use a locking tool to keep timing marks alligned. You'll need a 250Nm torque spanner or air tool to tigthen up crank pulley nut.

Im down that neck of the woods, send me a PM if you are stuck.

Dont know of any garages in Ards, except Ards Rover. I have never used them and have heard mixed reports. Spoke on the phone and they gave some sound advice.

Avoid Hursts!

·
Registered
rover_600
660 Posts
Im confused, you mention the 2.0L series engine which is a diesel model, but state petrol. What is the vehicle cc in the tax book. If its 1796cc then its the 1.8k series.

There is only 1 timing belt on the 1.8k, plus the power steering and alternator belt if thats what you mean.

Buy a Heinz manwell (Haynes) its easier than you think and it would save you a fortune. Engine doesnt have to come out, just remove timing covers and use a locking tool to keep timing marks alligned. You'll need a 250Nm torque spanner or air tool to tigthen up crank pulley nut.

Im down that neck of the woods, send me a PM if you are stuck.

Dont know of any garages in Ards, except Ards Rover. I have never used them and have heard mixed reports. Spoke on the phone and they gave some sound advice.

Avoid Hursts!
i think he ment it is a 2 litre by the L not an l series!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in newtownards area and as much as I would love to be able and to have the time to be able to do it myself there is absolutely no chance of that.......i can just about find where to put the petrol and oil in....lol......

altho I am in the ards area for the right price and quality of work, i will travel anywhere in NI...........

oh and yes sorry if my language is misleading i meant 2 litre petrol model.............so someone come on and please let me know of reputable garages using genuine parts with reasonable prices.........is this impossible????

thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There must be somebody who can give me direction here!!!............geting desperate as i have little knowledge in this area and would appreciate help to avoid being taken advantage of

in anticapation of your help
many thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Recomendations??.....please!

Car - Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0L year 2000, (petrol) miles - 57,000

Given that on my last car the engine was ruined due to the timing belt going (Audi A4) I do not want to take the same chance. Has anyone else had these belts changed in a garage in NI? Would you recommend a main dealer and/or xpart dealer or can independent garages manage this job on this car?

I see from the other forums prices ranging from £300 for all 3 changed, fully inclusive of parts, labour, vat to £1,000!!

I live in the ards area but am happy to travel for a good price, but more importantly reliable and trustworthy service

would love to hear your experiences, many thanks

·
Registered
rover_75
16 Posts
Rover 75 Kv6 Timing Belts

Your in luck if you haven't got the 3 timing belts changed on your V6 Rover 75. I'm in Co Fermanagh, couldn't get anyone to do it for my 2.5 V6 Rover 75 locally for a sensible price (TP Toppings, ex Rover dealer in Enniskillen quoted £1,300 plus VAT!!!!).

I went back to the trader I bought it from (Premier Cars, Tates Ave, just off Boucher Road in Belfast tel 028 9031 2121). They did it all in including the belts and kit for £450.00 in April 2007.

Tip - get them changed if your car is at least 6 years old or has done 90,000 miles, whichever is the sooner.

Cheers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just seen ur message, and i have to say i am almost excited by that price!!.....i will fone them asap and hope that they can still do that.....my car has 57000 miles but is 7 years old....so i need them done asap......just one question....are you happpy with the job??.....

Your in luck if you haven't got the 3 timing belts changed on your V6 Rover 75. I'm in Co Fermanagh, couldn't get anyone to do it for my 2.5 V6 Rover 75 locally for a sensible price (TP Toppings, ex Rover dealer in Enniskillen quoted £1,300 plus VAT!!!!).

I went back to the trader I bought it from (Premier Cars, Tates Ave, just off Boucher Road in Belfast tel 028 9031 2121). They did it all in including the belts and kit for £450.00 in April 2007.

Tip - get them changed if your car is at least 6 years old or has done 90,000 miles, whichever is the sooner.

Cheers.

·
Registered
rover_75
16 Posts
just seen ur message, and i have to say i am almost excited by that price!!.....i will fone them asap and hope that they can still do that.....my car has 57000 miles but is 7 years old....so i need them done asap......just one question....are you happpy with the job??.....
I'm perfectly happy with the job Premier Motors did, the man to talk to is called Marty. They used a Rover kit and also changed the alternator belt (so 4 belts actually changed). They use the correct cam locking kit so the timing remains correct. They also gave me the old belts. I got mine changed at 51,000 miles last month as the car is now over 6 years old. I still think ex Rover dealers rip you off so go for a good small garage.

Cheers.

·
Registered
rover_75
16 Posts
Just to add, the actual prices was £445.11 inc VAT and parts. They also trade as HM Motors (two business partners) at 234-236 Tates Avenue, tel 028 90 229932 according to my invoice.

Cheers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
JB have you tried Alan Lemon out the Portaferry road in ards, he has done alot of work for me on my 2.5 KV6, top bloke and a good price too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just booked it in with alan lemon today. good price given and it sounds like he knows what he is doing. says he uses genuine parts and does the various bits attached to the belts, i.e. tensioners and bolts......so many thanks for the direction. given his proximity to me, if he does a good job then I cant see me going anywhere else for any other work!!..

what have u got done with him?

JB have you tried Alan Lemon out the Portaferry road in ards, he has done alot of work for me on my 2.5 KV6, top bloke and a good price too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
just booked it in with alan lemon today. good price given and it sounds like he knows what he is doing. says he uses genuine parts and does the various bits attached to the belts, i.e. tensioners and bolts......so many thanks for the direction. given his proximity to me, if he does a good job then I cant see me going anywhere else for any other work!!..

what have u got done with him?
He has replaced a clutch and yesterday fitted a Janspeed manifold, which is a monster job on the V6, he worked to 7:20pm to get it finished as her MOT was at 7:40 in ards!!! The car passed. You know he is a mechanic for a rally team, he goes all over Europe with them. His prices are just fantastic and theres not alot he dont know.

I bet he charged you far far less than some of the numbers banded about on this thread.
Ps. If you need any fault codes read or the MIL engine light reset I have the software for doing that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts