MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Gonna get a couple of new tyres on the ZT in the next few weeks.
I dont really need anything fantastic, but would like something thats gonna last a reasonable amount of miles. Anyone with any experience with budget and mid-range tyres. What would u recommend?
Starting with budgets, Nankang NS2 anygood?(only£70-80 a tyre)
Falkens anygood?
Ive heard Toyos are a good tyre, anyone used them?
Any comments or recommendtions would be appreicated.
Want to spent a maximum of about £125 a tyre.

Cheers,
Neil

·
Registered
870 Posts
proper ZT size is 225/45/18, but a better choice and a lower prices are available if you go 235/40/18.

Best prices i found were on www.mytyre.co.uk
although you have to factor in fitting on top of that.

My honest opinion is that the majority of tyres will perform the same if you are a sensible driver - look at the reviews tyres have in magazines. Expensive tyres often don't perform much if any better than cheaper alternatives.

As with anything, you often pay for people to advertise their products to you.

Michelin pilots reportedly last longer (30k+) but will cost you £40 more a tyre

I had no problems with Continentals or khumos when they were fitted to my car.

Nankangs have a bad reputation on forums, but how much of that is based upon their price, rather than experience i don't know. I would be wary of a tyre thats half the price of the others though...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had some Nankangs once, they did fine on a FWD V6 car I had, rotated front to back when they had wore some.

Got Kuhmo on car at the moment and very good in terms of wear. Not quite so good in terms of grip in slippery/wet conditions but, found to be a good match for Dunlop Sports otherwise. Would certainly purchase again

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the exact size your after ?
Hi, 225/45/18 is the size im going for. Dont fancy changing to 40 profile.
I know the Michelins are expensive, do they last any longer in the real world??
I am an engineer in the forklift truck industry. And i know for a fact that the Michelin industry tyres outlast all other makes by x3 on our trucks. Wondered if that was the same with a car tyre?
I dont imagine it is, thats why im primary looking at the lower range tyres.

Neil

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have recently been in the same boat. Needed to replace all 4 Michellin Pilots on my ZT.

After a bit of research I realised that I didnt really want to pay £650-£700 for a set of tyres. Once that had been firmly established the decision wasnt too difficult.

I had a few choices available from mytryes.com such as the Falken or Nankangs but eventually I called a company in South Wales I had used in the past. After a long discusion I settled on a set of Maxxis tyres fully fitted and balanced for £360. This manufacturer seems to be best known in the states for offroad and karting tyres.

I found a few good reviews on this tyre so went for it...

The road noise seems less than the Pilots and I'm happy with the grip levels. They also have the 'Rim Protection Feature' which, when I get my alloys de-kerbed will do nicely..

I suppose you 'Pays Your Money & Takes your chance' where tyres are concerned .......................

Dave

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi, 225/45/18 is the size im going for. Dont fancy changing to 40 profile.
I know the Michelins are expensive, do they last any longer in the real world??
I am an engineer in the forklift truck industry. And i know for a fact that the Michelin industry tyres outlast all other makes by x3 on our trucks. Wondered if that was the same with a car tyre?
I dont imagine it is, thats why im primary looking at the lower range tyres.

Neil
You certainly won't get 60000 miles from a set of michelins!

Maybe 30000-35000, as opposed to 20000-25000 for others. As has been posted above, some don't rate the michelins that highly anyway.

A brand that has come out well in tyre tests is vredestein, but they don't seem to be that widely available.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You certainly won't get 60000 miles from a set of michelins!

Maybe 30000-35000, as opposed to 20000-25000 for others. As has been posted above, some don't rate the michelins that highly anyway.

A brand that has come out well in tyre tests is vredestein, but they don't seem to be that widely available.
If u can get 30000-35000 out of them i would get some, does anyone really get this??
Would be lucky to get 20000-25000 i would of thought. Suppose it all depends on the way u drive.

As for the Maxxis tyres that Dave got, my car came with them on already. Seem to perform well, dont know how much mileage the previous owner got out of them but i know they have only been on less than a year and now they need replacing. So im not sure about getting them again.

Are the Continental M3 Sports anygood, they dont seem to be a bad price?

Neil

·
Registered
870 Posts
The Contis are what ZTs came off the production line with, and are what MGR used to recommend.

I had them and they were fine, but then again so were the khumos.
Its really difficult to compare objectively though because mostly you go from a well worn tyre to a brand new one, so of course they feel different.

Its not unrealistic at all to get 20000 out of a set of front tyres, although i did own a V6 ZT, rather than the diesel, so i don't know if they're heavier on tyres.

I definitely read a post that someone had got over 30000 from a set of michelins (which is why i made that claim) but i have no more conclusive proof than that i'm afraid.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Had michelin pilot sports fitted - car originally came with these fitted. They are expensive and the fronts last about 18 months and the rears about 2 years.
I have changed all 4 tyres in total twice now. Grip always excellent except in the snow. I was going to try the conti sport M3's this time as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper and people are getting good mileage. The car is a 190

Mark

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had michelin pilot sports fitted - car originally came with these fitted. They are expensive and the fronts last about 18 months and the rears about 2 years.
I have changed all 4 tyres in total twice now. Grip always excelent except in the snow. I was going to try the conti sport M3's this time as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper and people are getting good mileage. The car is a 190

Mark
Im real tempted to try the Conti M3s, they seem to be nicely priced on the net. I will ring around a few local tyre companys tomorrow and see what deals are about.

Neil

·
Registered
290 Posts
My first set of tyres on my ZT T CDTi were Contisports and lasted only 16 000 miles. I replaced them with Pirelli P0 Rossos (at £135 each, fitted), hoping they would prove more durable. Unfortunately the Pirellis lasted only 10 000 miles.

Not wanting to spend another £540 I decided to try some Federals (Goodyear's budget brand) in the correct 225 45X18 size at £90 fitted. Although I can't yet assess their wear rate I am very impressed with the Federals. They grip very well, don't tramline and much to my surprise actually have a better ride than the Pirellis. As long as they last at least as long as the previous tyres I will have saved money......

After reading various comments on these forums it seems 18" tryes, regardless of make, just don't last as long as the smaller 15-17" diameters. I suppose tyres inthe 18" size must all be made with a softer, more sports-orientated compound.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got a puncture on the day of my m.o.t..I got a budget tyre 225-40-18 from tyres-4-less in leeds..fitted and balanced + new valve £64...couldnt beat that price with any internet deals I've seen so far...no problems with road noise or handling or anything..I allready had budget tyres on all the wheels anyway..the guy who did the mot said they all have to conform to british standards, and providing you're not the racing type, wont feel much different from the more expensive tyres..I dont have a problem with tramliining either, in fact they are much much better than the 16" unions with dunlops...It now goes round bends like its on rails..

·
Registered
13 Posts
My daughter buys Michelin's for her 75 connie from Costco warehouse fitted,balanced & new valve for about £75 each, and every 6 months or so they do a special offer of buy 4 and get 20% off, and you have a year to have them fitted from stock. They only do michelin's amd to join costco's is about £22 a year. Batteries, chamois leathers,oil including synthetic, tools etc are also cheap and top quality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi
I've tried all sorts myself, Had michelins on a SAAB once, hated them, yes, i got a few more miles, but the trade off was no grip and they make one hell of a noise. tried Nankang, cheap tyre, good grip low noise, trade off being you didn't get the same mileage, but for the difference in price it was well worth it, worked out cheaper in the long run. I got 3 tyres put on the ZT when I bought it and they put Federals on, impressed with the noise, ride and grip, not sure about the wear rate yet, only done about 4k on them, but wouldn't go to Michelins personally given the choice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've just replaced the rear tyres on my ZT-T at 28000 miles. I went for Falken F542 as that was what I had on the front when I replaced them 6 months ago. All in they were £206 from a place near where I work in Basingstoke. The front tyres have covered about 9000 miles in 6 months and have about 6mm of tread left and they seem to have good grip in all conditions. I would definately keep using Falken's

1 - 20 of 81 Posts