MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My first play at this game. I'm looking for a 75, but cannot find the spec I want, and in searching I came across this site, so I thought I would see if you can help. I want to down-size from my Merc E-class, but without sacrificing too much in the way of luxury or toys, and the following seems to fit my bill:

75 CDTi (131bhp) Auto, Connoisseur SE, preferably with the cream leather. Body colour not important. Saloon or Tourer.

Does anyone know where I might get one? I'm based in Cheshire, but happy to travel anywhere for the right car.

Secondly, I do about 25K miles pa. Will this model stand up to that?

Thirdly, if I can't get the 131, can a CDT be chipped up to 131 without harm?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, David. Yes, I've looked on E-bay, but never quite got exactly what I wanted. For example the one you provided a link to has the dark grey leather, which I am not keen on.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks, David. Yes, I've looked on E-bay, but never quite got exactly what I wanted. For example the one you provided a link to has the dark grey leather, which I am not keen on.
Ok but remember you are dealing in the second hand market and some sacrifices have to be made.

The diesel R75 131 is a popular buy (particularly the Tourer) and if the spec and car is right then maybe colour choice should be at the bottom of the list.

Further sources might be Autotrader (on the net) and the SMC group may still have some unregistered examples but not sure if diesel autos.

You might also look at the MG ZT - basically the same car but you would have to gen up on the trim levels as they are different to the 75. Suspension is also firmer.

As to the difference between a 116 CDT and 131 CDTi its all in the engine management software. No mechanical changes to the cars at all between the two. When MGR was still alive there was an upgrade for the CDT obtainable from dealers and costing about £500. Took the car in and 45 mins and £500 later you came out with a CDTi.

Probably an easier and better way to go is search on here for details of a RoverRon upgrade which does seem to improve the CDT rather more than the official upgrade and at a fraction of the price.

If you havent done so already an evening browsing this forum would give you a lot of information about the upgrade as well as the common faults of the 75.

Whatever you choose it is important that the car should have a full service history since the 75/MGZT is a car that responds well to regular and timely maintenance
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hi Guys,

I want to down-size from my Merc E-class, but without sacrificing too much in the way of luxury or toys,
Hi 75fan (like the username!!)

Apart from price, don't you mean Upsizing?

I have a 116 cdt Conn SE, with a Rover_Ron box and other mods discussed on here. and it's a different car from when it was in standard form, and no extra on the insurance, either, although some have had to pay a small increase.

BTW manual is cheaper to tax than the auto

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you are quick, there two at SMC in High Wycombe.

On 54 plate, 12k miles, white gold , cream leather, £11,995

other is 04 plate, 36k, royal blue, £10,995

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fantastic response Guys!! 2 out of 3 questions answered instantly at the first attempt - can't believe it! Many thanks.

No comment on how it copes with high mileages - is that because it doesn't, or simply that you thought I was joking?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Fantastic response Guys!! 2 out of 3 questions answered instantly at the first attempt - can't believe it! Many thanks.

No comment on how it copes with high mileages - is that because it doesn't, or simply that you thought I was joking?
There are many for sale with in excess of 100k on the clock, all going strong. The M47 BMW engine is inherently strong with a chain driven camshaft. So your 25k/yr is a mere stroll in the park.
Is I said before, you'll have to be quick as those models are becoming much a bit of a rareity.

Colin

·
Registered
36 Posts
There was a 75 on ebay recently with over 200k on the clock, so they seem to go forever. I have just bought an 05 CDTi tourer with 14k on the clock and I will be doing similar mileage (25k per year).
Alan.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts

18 months ago I bought my 75CDt with 90k on it. It was 3 years old, ex lease.

Its not missed a beat apart from the unreliable VDO in-tank pump failing at about 100k (they all seem to go at about this mileage). £240 for a new one.

The 75 is popular with taxi drivers (which wouldn't be the case if they were unreliable or expensive to maintain/repair) and one has done over 300k in his.

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts