MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just heard that they will be officially opening Longbridge on the 29th May (see this post here: http://theswmgf.proboards56.com/index.cgi?board=latest&action=display&thread=1178196269&page=1 ) and my immediate thought was "ohhh great, now I can test drive one and see what the new ones are like" only to realise that now there aren't any Rover main dealer showrooms anymore (at least not around here anyway... they all got knocked down)

which begs the question, which dealers will have them from new? Is it an open thing to any dealer? Or will there be specific MG showrooms again?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
well first they need cars to sell, so if production starts at the end of May, you ain't gonna see any in the showroom for a while! ;)

Think i heard somewhere that they hope to have a dealer network before the end of the year, or some sort of franchising scheme maybe.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've heard that the first handful of TF's off the line literally in the last week or so have all blown their engines within the first drive!!
The Chinese had not tested them properly or something, so the release date may be postponed.
IMO i'm not sure if this rumor is true, but if it is, the K-series had enough problems, and Rovers/MG's reputation for being unreliable could be salvaged if in the right hands. releasing them again with the same faults, if not more, would be catastrophic in my eyes.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,505 Posts
I've heard that the first handful of TF's off the line literally in the last week or so have all blown their engines within the first drive!!
The Chinese had not tested them properly or something, so the release date may be postponed.
IMO i'm not sure if this rumor is true, but if it is, the K-series had enough problems, and Rovers/MG's reputation for being unreliable could be salvaged if in the right hands. releasing them again with the same faults, if not more, would be catastrophic in my eyes.
K-series is no longer in production!

·
Registered
rover_75
242 Posts
To what?.....
to that : "I've heard that the first handful of TF's off the line literally in the last week or so have all blown their engines within the first drive!!
IMO i'm not sure if this rumor is true, but if it is, the K-series had enough problems, and Rovers/MG's reputation for being unreliable could be salvaged if in the right hands. releasing them again with the same faults, if not more, would be catastrophic in my eyes."

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just been resurrecting some old well loved hard-wood garden furniture, more than 50% of the new screws(made in china) have sheared off before being screwed home. Sorry Nanjing but I won't be rushing to buy one of your T.F.'s just yet.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
I'm sure I read on here somewhere that they might piggyback other chinese brands/dealers like SsangYong, but that might be SAIC, I can't remember.

MGTF's being displayed next to the SSangYong Rodius anyone? ;)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Just been resurrecting some old well loved hard-wood garden furniture, more than 50% of the new screws(made in china) have sheared off before being screwed home. Sorry Nanjing but I won't be rushing to buy one of your T.F.'s just yet.
Umm, I doubt they will use cheap wood screws to fix the TF together with.

Look at it another way - my Chinese made iPod is just perfect.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think with things like electrical goods and cars if they are going to be sold in the west via western brands quality is normally top-notch alot of things built in china are no worse than things built in the UK, its just so much more is built in china when a bad product comes along more people notice it.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Maybe Roy but TBH build quality on the old TF was hardly the best given the comedy fit carpets and 'Fisher Price' plastics..... even chucking a box of wood screws at the TF in the build process would help, given most have more Squeaks and rattles than Toys-R-Us...

I think of more concern to us TF owners is the engine in this 'new' TF.
IIRC your HG failed sub 20K miles, my TF failed at 28K, and nearly every owner of an early TF I have met have suffered failure sub 30K miles. if as I have read Nanjing are just fitting the old K-Series with warmed over emissions and yet 'Another' new HG then sorry, the first thing people will ask when they enter these new MG Showrooms is "Could you tell me where the nearest Mazda dealer is please?"...

By the way, Welcome back!!:broon:

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I'm sure I read on here somewhere that they might piggyback other chinese brands/dealers like SsangYong, but that might be SAIC, I can't remember.

MGTF's being displayed next to the SSangYong Rodius anyone? ;)
That is SAIC that will be selling their Roewe 750 in Ssangyong Dealerships.

MG will have their own dealership network and are looking at around 80, when I last heard it mentioned. I believe that 10 have already been signed up in the UK, with many more to come.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I'm 100% british through and through, but even I can see that what British manufacturing has had to offer over the last few decades in many industries hasnt been a great deal to be proud of.

Your opinion of a cheap screw made in china, bought in by British retailers because british people believe everything should cost pennies, is probably similar to the opinion of British car buyers of the 70's and 80's buying many British built cars with unforgiveable build quality, which effectively led to the demise of tens of thousands of jobs and decades of manufacturing success.

The Chinese however, seem to be going in a forward direction, cheap chinese goods are slowly turning into cheap well made goods, there are less and less instances of nasty quality that only a few years ago was almost a given, the chinese now produce most things you might ever place in your hand. The next time you pick up an MP3 player or a new TV and think "this is far too good to be made in china" why not turn it over and take a closer look at the lable.

One thing we must not do now is underestimate the Chinese, and if we do, what are we going to do about it, Britain has minimal manufacturing capacity to replace the so called cheap chinese imports anyway, so just what options do we have? And don't believe for a minute that it's China to blame, our business leaders were the ones to spot the attraction of cheap chinese labour rates, they are the ones that effectively shut our industries down, and outsourced their operations out to china. I have relatives working in the steel and wire industry and they havent lost their jobs because the chinese stole them, their own employers have chosen to move their operations overseas, the companies are still british bringing in profit in GBP(£) to their British Shareholders, but yet they now employ only Chinese workers and they enjoy paying labour rates that would be laughable even in McDonalds in Britain today by some great margin. The Chinese arent stealing our industry or our jobs, our business leaders are taking them from under our feet. But the blame doesnt stop there - Every time you shop, every time you squirm at a price tag that only a few years ago would have been considered a "give away", you are hammering another nail in the coffin. Just how cheap do you think goods, or clothes can go, and just how much exploitation must go on in China and other countries before we go into total meltdown.

Take a walk through a tesco store and I guarantee that you will be hard pushed to find anything more than 10% of stock that isn't produced in China.

Does Britain have a dormant industry just waiting to be able to replace Tesco shelves with British made goods? Of course not. The reason is two fold - British people arent prepared to pay "reasonable" prices anymore they want to pay less, and British workers arent prepared to earn a reasonable wage for the job they do - is it any wonder we no longer regard the "made in britain tag" as high as we once did - in fact when was the last time you bought an appliance that was actually made anywhere near Britain?

The difference with NAC or Nanjing or NAC-MG or whatever they want to call themselves is that they are entirely chinese, they are the people making the decisions, they arent fat cat British stockholders concerned with their investments over jobs, the Chinese have got themselves a good piece or branding and they are making more use and respecting it's value far more than the very people that created it. And to that I say shame on us, shame on us all.....in some small or large way, we each have contributed to our own decline ......

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
That is SAIC that will be selling their Roewe 750 in Ssangyong Dealerships.

MG will have their own dealership network and are looking at around 80, when I last heard it mentioned. I believe that 10 have already been signed up in the UK, with many more to come.
At least at the start, MG will have no trouble getting delaer on board, many delaers have room in the corner for an MG TF. Sad thing is, most of the dealers like that are probably the one's selling Perodua's or Tata's.....

Given the likely footfall in such delaers, it's hardly going to set the world on fire. Perhaps a brand like KIA or Hyundai? rapidly expanding in sales and product integrity? again ...NO, the Chinese aren't about to jump into bed with the Koreans...

So just who are the dealers about to jump into bed with NACMG? Motorcycle dealers??????

I for one, cannot wait to find out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts