MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just covered 14k in my car from new. The rear ones i will need to change in the next month and the front ones in about 3 months. These are continental tyres which i have found suitable but quite supprised with the speed the are warring out. I do not excellerate fast but drive at high speeds-to the top end of speed limits.

i have always been keeping an eye on the front tyres as on all power assisted steering cars the front tyres are always the first to be changed. I am fully aware that the engine is in the rear but still supprised how quick the rear tyres have evenly worn out. When i had my 1200 bandit i used to get through a set of tyres after 8k and that was excellent going considering the power og the bike

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
from personal experience, the conti's fitted to 135's are absolutely crap. got through a set of rear toyo's in about 8 months, then another in about 7 months. have now changed to a harder compound of dunlop sp9000's.

whatever u do next, get some decent tyres on teh car, either the dunlops or goodyear f1's and u should notice an increased level in grip and comfort.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
I changed the Contis on my TF just before 14k as I was off to tour France. Didn't have much left so didn't feel I was being wastefull.

I've driven mainly RWD cars for most of my life so am not surprised my the TF wear rate.

Not convinced that power steering alone is the culprit - power steering with front wheel drive and it's associated front wheel torque steer certainly rips treads off.

Biggish 'bikes over the past 20 years have rarely given me over 8k (like you) so 14k on the TF is good.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i got 22k out of my contis when i had my tf!

they were the worst tyres in the world tho, the f1s were so much better when i stuck those on!

·
Registered
19 Posts
20k and still going strong out of my F1's - Not exactly gentle on them either. Only had the one replaced and that was down to a manufacturing fault which made the sidewall bulge.

Just my 2p,

Nick

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I must be strange. I got 24K out of my rears and 28K out of my fronts Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2s.

My rear brakes have 7mm of pad left and they are original from when I got the car at 1600 miles. (unless they were changed in service without my knowledge!)

The front brakes are due for a change in a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Pery has posted a couple of times about near misses with uncontrollable cars and recently showed us piccies of a badly damaged car that missed a cat.

Maybe the roads in Greece really are as useless as Perry tries to tell us!

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Sprinter may be right! I think that our roads are very slippery copmared to yours and that is why your tyres wear faster...this could be an explanation...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
STEVEN_NORFIELD said:
Do you drive like a pansy tee hee :_poke:
OI! :twak: hehe

Granted most of my driving is motorway based, so fairly gentle on the tyres....

I have been known to boot it you know! :evil:

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
We don't all leave smoking trails upon pulling away...

Mind you, I changed all four wheels after 13k, so I don't know how long the tyres were going to last for :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts