·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Saab 9-3 Range: Sharper Looks Showcase Enhanced Performance

* New 9-3 showcases Aero X-inspired grille and return to ‘clamshell’ bonnet
* Developments in design, performance and handling
* First UK deliveries in autumn

The new Saab 9-3 range will feature bold new styling, inspired by the award-winning Aero X concept car, backed by cutting edge technology for greater driving appeal.

With all-new bonnet, front bumper and wings, ‘signature’ lighting, new door panels and rear styling features, the latest generation 9-3 acquires a more focused, assertive stance, reflecting the introduction of technical advances aimed at delivering an even more rewarding experience behind the wheel.

Most noticeable is the sharper frontal styling, which adopts grille and bonnet themes first seen on the Aero X concept, together with a return of Saab’s classic ‘clamshell’ design. This new ‘face’ is reinforced by other exterior changes that all combine to give the range a clearer, more distinctive Saab identity.

“We are introducing significant developments across three key areas: design, performance and handling,” says Jan Åke Jonsson, Managing Director of Saab Automobile. “The result is a major step forward in strengthening the visual and driving appeal of our core product line-up, which accounts for about two-thirds of global sales.”

The new 9-3 range comprises Sport Saloon, SportWagon and Convertible models, all available with petrol, diesel or BioPower (bioethanol E85) engine variants. Available in four forms in the UK, Airflow, Linear SE, Vector Sport and Aero, the first cars will be delivered to the UK in the autumn.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I'd be more interested to know whether they've addressed the flaking door handles, rusting wing mirror surrounds, sagging seats, rattling interior and whining turbo which seems to afflict every 9-3 60k miles and/or 3 years old.

;)

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Might me being a bit thick here, but what is a "MY 2006"? Ive seen it on the forums as well people saying "MY04" reg, what does this mean? :err:

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Model Years are popular in the USA, and it is filtering over to the UK.

In the UK, normally the next Model Year starts after the Summer Shutdown, which is traditionally August. So for instance, this year, the 2008 Model Year vehicles will begin being produced from September 2007 onwards.

Volvo are are abnormality, as their Model Year usually starts in May - for instance, they have just announced their entire 2008 Model Year range.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Looking forward to trying the Twin turbo diesel......having just bought a year old 9-3 TiD cabrio and had it chipped to around 180bhp.......Always wanted a SAAB and so far its superb....

·
Registered
mg_zt
494 Posts
You can see the similarities with the Vectra estate- it looks so like the Saab 93- such a shame that Saab has been ruined as it was so unique in terms of design and styling- i would never buy one now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looking forward to trying the Twin turbo diesel......having just bought a year old 9-3 TiD cabrio and had it chipped to around 180bhp.......Always wanted a SAAB and so far its superb....
]

Speaking from personal experiance (which IMHO is better than hearsay etc), I've had a 9-3 TiD Sport now for 2 years and 41000 miles. The only part that's needed replacing is a CVJ which developed play. Other wise its been 100% reliable, very quick and economical. Its proved to be fitting replacement for my previous ZT CDti which was also uber-reliable (I couldn't order a factory built new ZT back in July 2005).

Looks much more like a proper Saab now - shame we all know its still a tarted up Vectra underneath.
Whilst the 9-3 is based on the Vectra platform, its suspension, interior, and many other parts are totally different. You could say that its no more a tarted up Vectra than a ZT is a tarted up R75. :_poke:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yes, a Vectra estate and 9-3 do look alike in that they both have 4 wheels and 5 doors. Sorry, just can't agree. Platform sharing is a fact of car manufacturing life, eg Audi A3/Golf/Octavia/Leon/TT etc and no one gets too upset at that. I agree SAAB have lost some individuality but they are still in business ( as part of GM) where as Mg Rover are not....

I also had a ZT-T followed by a 75 tourer and didn't have a problem with the ZT being a badge engineered 75 ( and better for the chassis tweaks).

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I think calling a Saab "a tarted up Vectra" because it shares a platform on a MGR forum is pretty rediculous bearing in mind every car Rover/MGR introduced in the last 23 years apart from 2 models borrowed a platform from another manufacturer....

A Saab 93 doesn't drive anything like a Vectra, although you can certainly spot GM bits in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts