MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a rover 200 coupe 1.8vvc, r reg around 60k..

couple of things i noticed but i know little about rovers wondering if any one can help....

1) when i break at low speeds i feel the ABS kicking in even if breaking softly.. the wheels shouldnt be locking so im wondering why its happening.. it only happens sometimes..

2) when pulling away in 1st and riding the clutch a bit, the car judders.. only happens in 1st. i was suspecting the clutch but someone suggested an engine mount.

3) the targa rood is really squeaky, should i replace the rubber seals or is there another solution?? if replace, wheres the best place to get them?

think thats it any help would be greatly thanked..

peace up

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Sounds like you have the early beginnings of an ABS sensor failure or a cracked reluctor ring on the CV joint itself.

Your clutch judder could be anything from an oil contaminiated clutch to a broken engine mounting.....only a stripdown would reveal all....

Lube the targa roof seals with silicone grease..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Major Ingram said:
Sounds like you have the early beginnings of an ABS sensor failure or a cracked reluctor ring on the CV joint itself.

Your clutch judder could be anything from an oil contaminiated clutch to a broken engine mounting.....only a stripdown would reveal all....

Lube the targa roof seals with silicone grease..

> The ABS sensor, how much do they cost? also do you know how much the CV joint ring and the engine mount will set me back roughley? thanks for the help..

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The best stuff for the seals is Halfords rubber lubricant. Found in the motorbike section.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
As Major Ingram says, it sounds as though your ABS could be caused by a knackered reluctor ring.

In my opinion, the symptoms you are describing would be unlikely to be a sensor.

Because of the age of the car, I have seen lots of knackered reluctor rings around 97 - late 98. Seems there were issues with supply at this time.

The issue is the rings that are part of the CV joint as the front of the car crack meaning the ABS unit thinks the wheel is locking every revolution. The rings work by spaces then high points, so the sensor an count the high points, which are evenly spaced and work out wheel speed. If a ring cracks, the space between two of the "teeth" becomes twice the space between all the others - ECU sees locking wheel every revolution.

Problem is to change the ring is part of the outer CV joint and my betting is that both sides (front) will need doing.

You can see for yourself if you jack the car up and take the wheel off.

HTH

·
Registered
343 Posts
The targa roof doesn't squeak.....at least mine never did. The plastic handles that open/close the roof DO squeak tho! When you pop the roof open, does it still squeak? Mine never did. I ended up sticking some decent Lock Lube onto the plastic handles every 6 months to stop the 'squeaking when closed' symptom of the handles. Worked a treat.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
You were very lucky then Andy. Maybe your's weren't being held down tightly enough or you got some other lubricant on the seals..

99% squeek if the seals dry out a bit. The rubber lubricant eliminates this in most cases though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coupe Clutch Judder

Hi,

reading your notes on judder. My 218 Coupe has 57k on the clock and has just started juddering in 1st, I have only noticed it when the car is cold. I was wondering if you had managed to solve your car and what it was (mount or clutch plate?) How much did it cost to fix?

Also I have a squeaking roof - passenger side only. I find if I take out and re-fit mine it quietens down for a bit. You mentioned applying lube to the seals - do you mean putting grease onto the rubber seals, doesn't it mark the glass with grease when you take it out?

Also was wonderig on the 218vvc what you were getting to out of a tank of petrol?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
How old are the HT leads and are you having any starting issues when it is cold and wet?

If you use the proper rubber lubricant it doesn't really get over the panels. Halfords do some in their Motorbike section in a yellow can.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
yes, cold/damp weather starting on the VVC is a HT lead issue. Don't bother with Rover leads, get 8mm or better after-market leads from someone like Magnecor, that would solve that problem if you have it.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
How does the ABS yellow light check perform when you turn on the ignition? Does it not go off in the usual way or stay on or come on only occasionally when the ABS 'kicks in' in the way you describe. ?

Regarding the ABS 'kicking in' when not needed, best to access the fault codes and this will indicate the precise area when the fault, if there is one, is located. That should eliminate any guesswork and make it easier to rectify.

To read the codes, the electrical bridge plug was located under the driver's seat on my 1993 TomCat turbo coupe. It maybe located elsewhere on later cars. Search here and over on Rovertech.net for how to access and read the ABS fault codes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts