MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to improve the ride on my '02 TF160 because my ageing bones suffer on our wonderful roads.
I am planning to fit Bilstein dampers all round, and at the same time would like to fit a full set of comfort springs.

The thing is, I propose to retain the original 2002 fitted anti-roll bars ( for budgetary reasons) and am wondering if anyone out there has tried this combination - and what their thoughts are?

I am aware that I may well lose the 'go-cart' handling to some extent, but by how much and would it be safe?

My backstop would be just to fit the dampers, but while I've got it apart ..... it seems a wasted opportunity!

It is a bit subjective I know, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

B.

·
Registered
mg_tf
125 Posts
I fitted a set of later model damper spring units on my 135 and it rides a bit ( less jiggerly) but handling seemed the same to me.

Bought from MGfntf bits also got a set from MGOC for my stepspeed.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I had Bilsteins with standard (early) springs on my 2004 Steppy and the improvement in both ride and handling was superb. No more lost teeth!! I felt sure the car was more surefooted due to the tyres staying in contact with the road rather than jittering about!

The last of the TFs, the 85th Anniversary, had both VHS Bilsteins, uprated roll bars and softer springs, but only on the front. It returned to the earlier harder springs on the rear. This model was said to be the best in both handling and ride and was where I was headed for my car had I kept it.

There is a thread somewhere on here that gives the spring colour bands and their use through the model years.

·
Registered
mg_tf
234 Posts
I can vouch for the VHS/MGOC Bilsteins. I have them fitted with standard springs at the middle ride height (5-10mm lower). The ride is transformed, much more supple. At present I am fitting the thicker (85th) antiroll bars.

Fitting the Bilsteins wth softer springs will reduce roll stiffness as well as improve the ride but in day to day use I doubt it would make a big difference. You would only notice if you were, erm, pushing on a bit.:smile:

·
Premium Member
mgf
157 Posts
I have the VHS Bilstiens and the VHS front and rear rollbars. I have also put polybushes throughout the MGTF 160. I use the car at club level hillclimbs and also on the road. This car rides better than my MGF which is a pure racecar with very stiff suspension. What is interesting is that the 160 is a faster car on the hillclimbs, but is still a very comfortable car to take out for drives into the country with our terrible Aussie roads. And I have driven in the UK and our roads are a lot rougher. So, Bilstiens, VHS rollbars and polybushes will still give you a good ride and very good handling. I have also changed my front tyres to the same size as the rears as I need oversteer rather than understeer that the staggered tyres size is designed to give.

·
Registered
mg_tf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grateful for the comments people.

I think I have decided to go for the Bilstiens and the '05 onwards standard springs.
From what I can gather, the standard '05 springs are softer than my '02 items but they retained the same size ARB's, only increasing the diameter of these on the "85" model.
I am happy to be corrected!
B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts