MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just buying this Rover 820 SE to replace my wife's left hand drive 414 SLi.

1994, M reg, 5 door, 123,000miles, good body and (apparently) sound engine and mechanicals, tidy interior and overall straight, solid appearance. The only problems bodywise are rust in both front wheel arches.

All for £150 and nearly 4 months MOT left!

All it needs (on first inspection) is a good clean, oil change and new plugs/distributor cap and usual sort of service.

Oh yes, all the electrics work apart from the rear wiper and it has air con and alloys.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I love 800s. Big lumbering barges. :)

The only thing I dislike about them, apart from the fact that the low-spec ones really were Loooooooow-spec, is that the steering wheels on the Mk2's were so fat. I mean, just HOW big is that airbag in there that it needs the wheel to be big enough to cause you to sound the horn when you turn a sharp corner! :)

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
One of my friends bought herself an 820 about 18 months ago.

'M' registered in British Racing Green. Unfortunately, the sun had warped the dashboard which looked a bit naff - other than that it was very presentable.

When she bought the car, it had 140,000 on the clock. She has since put a further 42,000 on the clock. The car has been almost faultless. It still drives well as I found out a few weeks ago when I took it for a spin.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Looks OK, Richard... Great for the money... But what's wrong with the 400...? Have I missed something - why does it need replacing..?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wheel arch corrosion is rot through from the inside - the wheel arch liners trap grot against the wing and that promotes rust. Good used ones are £25 - 35 a piece. I am pretty handy with a spray gun so can repaint a pair for £20 if I can´t find the right colour.

I forgot to mention that the dash top has warped above the instrument pod but I think I can straighten it by araldite-ing a brace to it on the inside.

Some leather seats would be nice (our 414 is all leather inside) but otherwise the plan is just to return it to it's former glory - not that it has slipped too far anyway. I´ll also be tranferring the aftermarket cruise control and Sony 10 disc changer over as well and tinting the windows like our 414, too.

It was a bargain because the chap selling it bought it for his dad, who changed his mind and plumped for a 200, so he needed to cut his losses. He used it for a few months until the tax ran out (end of sept) and just wants the drive cleared.

·
Registered
32 Posts
new project-Rover820

A very underated car especially in 827 guise-these are seriously quick and the Honda V6 makes a glorious noise on full bore.And better still they surprise the Nova boy racers

·
Registered
566 Posts
Steve said:
I love 800s. Big lumbering barges. :)

The only thing I dislike about them, apart from the fact that the low-spec ones really were Loooooooow-spec, is that the steering wheels on the Mk2's were so fat. I mean, just HOW big is that airbag in there that it needs the wheel to be big enough to cause you to sound the horn when you turn a sharp corner! :)
The early Mk2s had these massive steering wheels .. and with no air bags actually in them!

I had a J reg 820 '92 - an excellent car. rear electric windows never worked though!!

Mk2s were built an awful lot better than early Mk1's (D-F reg) which were, well dogs, really. The paintwork on them was terrible. Mk1's from G reg onwards were better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts