MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Pillar pod, Gauge & Rons GBE Boost Controller now fitted!

Hi All,

Well my Universal pillar pod arrived yesterday afternoon so spent today trimming it down to fit, Plumbing in Rons boost controller and the boost gauge i've had since xmas(only took 5 months to fit) and wiring it up.

Pillar pod i got was the RGM Carbon look one, and was actually quite easy to work with! Didn't rush trimming it to size as i didn't want it to look codged on. Was thinking of going with just black plastic look one from RGM but managed to get this cheaper.

Plumbed in Rons boost controller and must say this was very easy to do.

Plumbing in the boost gauge t-piece was a little bugger tough as the tubing supplied with the gauge was a really tight fit over the t-piece outlet, ripped some of my skin away from under my nail trying to push it on( ouch wasn't the word ), ended up heating the end up a bit to let stretch over easier.

Wired the gauge in to the wires coming out the back of the fuse box going to the ciggy lighter & also sidelights for the second feed mine requires.

Spent most of the day doing it cos i didn't want rush anything then have to redo.

As for initial impression of Rons controller, i was real impressed by the quicker response of the turbo even on light throttle openings, haven't seen an ounce of smoke out the back yet either so it's using all the fuel up now. Still need to have a proper fiddle round with it though as i need to turn the boost down a couple of turns on the Wastegate linkage arm so that i know it's all only the boost controller dealing with the boost. Will do this in the morning cos on the way work and back tonight, if i started to give it some the boost shot straight up to 22/23psi no messing, and would of continued up so i've been a bit careful until i've set it right, i'll report back more on it then.

Got a few quick pics of the gauge tonight but will post some more of everything tomorrow. I know the fixing screws are still silver but they will be blacked soon.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/10052007067.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/DSC00104.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/DSC00105.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Looks good Phil. I take it the boost controller you have is the ball bearing one Ron sells?? If so i have to say that Ron only is a seller for them. The credit for the handy work must go to Grant Baker who also happens to jointly own and run Rovertech. Oh and about 4 turns in gives you 20psi of boost but have found that they are much more sensitive than the non diesel ones are but once set held the boost well.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Looks good nice install Phil, hope my triple gauge version of your piller pod is as easy to fit justs waiting for the gauges to arrive from america, try finding intercooler inlet and outlet temps in england at a sensible price wasn't happening! also got water,oil temp and oil pressure to go with the boost gauge i've already got.

Keep us posted on how the boost controller works ordered one off Ron the other day just waiting for that to be delivered to! You say its incrased you max boost pressure gained without touching the actuator arm?

Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You say its incrased you max boost pressure gained without touching the actuator arm?

Cheers, Mark.
Best thing to do when using a GBE is to set the actuator back to standard, and let the controller deal with all the boost control. Much faster turbo spool up (as Phil has noticed already!), finer control of maximum psi, and it should hold boost extremely well. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good Phil. I take it the boost controller you have is the ball bearing one Ron sells?? If so i have to say that Ron only is a seller for them. The credit for the handy work must go to Grant Baker who also happens to jointly own and run Rovertech. Oh and about 4 turns in gives you 20psi of boost but have found that they are much more sensitive than the non diesel ones are but once set held the boost well.
Hi al_,Yep it's the one that Rons sells. Forgot to mention in the post that the boost controller supplied by Ron is the GBE D EVO boost controller, oops.

The silicon tubing supplied with the boost controller is plenty enough as well. As i tried to keep the extra length of pipe as short as possible as per instructions.

@ Mark, yes mate the boost increased without needing to touch the actuator arm as the controller is plumbed in between turbo and wastegate actuator so it controls the boost side of things. As Fuzz said it's best to set the actuator arm back to normal so when the boost controller hits say a max 20psi the wastegate can then vent the extra pressure easily if set to say 17psi, so it allows the boost controller to do it's job properly.

I'll be going to have a bit of a play around with things in a bit so i'll report back soon with results.

Phil.

·
Registered
rover_45
712 Posts
Phil

Where did you plumb the Boost Gauge in?

Did you T off the MAP sensor or before the boost controller?

I've got a gauge sitting on the bench at home just waiting to get some pipe and get round to fitting it.

Out of curiosity where did you secure the boost controller? - I've been thinking about this but couldn't envisage much extra pipework thinking it might defeat the object.

Tks
Russell

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phil

Where did you plumb the Boost Gauge in?

Did you T off the MAP sensor or before the boost controller?

I've got a gauge sitting on the bench at home just waiting to get some pipe and get round to fitting it.

Out of curiosity where did you secure the boost controller? - I've been thinking about this but couldn't envisage much extra pipework thinking it might defeat the object.

Tks
Russell

Hi Russel,

I'll take some pics & post them up in bit of where it's all plumbed in. It's actually more daunting thinking about it rather than doing it.

I've just figured out why my car always felt like it had a second surge of power top end as well, turned down the boost via actuator arm and boost levels decreased so i think maybe i was getting a 23/24 psi boost spike at about 3800rpm before, Oops! Someone must have twiddled with the arm before i had it.

Just go's to show how much you really need a boost gauge fitted before adjusting boost!

Just waiting for my engine cool down before i have another twiddle with things then i'll report back again but for now i must say that the controller certainly give you more of a kick earlier on in the revs and remains very even while boosting. Makes for a very nice strong pull through the revs!

Back soon!

Phil

·
Registered
mg_zt
444 Posts
Where did you get the T-Peice and tubing from?

I've been looking at the boost ever since I got a TU1 for my 420, but afraid it's already been tweaked so don't want to touch it until I get a guage... I know what you mean.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Where did you get the T-Peice and tubing from?

I've been looking at the boost ever since I got a TU1 for my 420, but afraid it's already been tweaked so don't want to touch it until I get a guage... I know what you mean.
T-piece & tubing came with the gauge i purchased, Could only recommend really having a search on the net to find them if your gauge didn't come with them supplied.

Engines still cooling down so here's some pics of the pipework plumbed in.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/My Car Stuff/11052007071.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/My Car Stuff/11052007070.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/My Car Stuff/11052007069.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/My Car Stuff/11052007068.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/ZS_Nut/My Car Stuff/11052007072.jpg

Cheers, Phil.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:s2h: Anybody out there that has some smoke lower down in the rev range has got to get one of these! I haven't ven fully adjusted it to run at 20/21 psi but the response to the throttle is unbelievable! It's only hitting about 18.5 psi at the min but it's the way that it gets to that 18.5 psi!

It's just foot down, bang, max boost and head back in the seat! My car was boosting higher before but not getting full boost till higher up the rev range, i still need to adjust it some more too, so once i've got it set at what i like then i'll do a final report on it but at the minute it definitely gets the thumbs up from me!

Either i had major wastegate creep or this GBE controller i got from Ron is really that good! Either i'm well chuffed!

Be back later!

Phil.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
I now more in stock and have sent off all the oustanding orders.
Grant has apologised for the delay and will be getting an order for more since they do seem to be better than adjusting the wastegate linkage (yes, I was sceptical!)

I have added a note to the instructions advising the wastegate linkage be returned to its orginal setting so that, as was mentioned in an earlier reply, you know that the BCV is doing all the boost controlling.

Ron

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yup they do work well especially if you are running a lot more boost than standard. I've had one on my old van for a while and one on my turbo petrol too - Both are cheapo e-bay jobs but both hold boost perfectly.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
y would the turbo spool up quicker, am i missing something?? sure its just fooling the wastegate into thinking ure still running low boost??

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mad it gets there quicker because the wastgate remains closed right up until the point that the spring pressure is overcome in the controller and allows the signal through. With just the actuator doing the work it creeps open as the point is reached so making the turbo have to work harder to reach the max boost. With this there is no creep so the turbo can create boost right until the set level is reached.

ZS i must shorten my hoses i think as i get a tiny bit of spiking as it comes on boost but then i have my controller mounted up on the firewall so the hose is about 3 times the run of yours.

·
Registered
rover_45
712 Posts
@Phil - Installation is neat and can see why you need to wait for the engine to cool down before adjusting the valve! How in heaven's name do you get photos like that in such a confined space????????????

@Rack - Most of the gauges come complete or with a dedicated fitting kit available separately. I got a second hand one without any fittings and am pretty sure that Demon Tweeks do the pipework and T-piece as a universal kit. It's in the catalogue I've got but can't pull it up on their website. I'll try calling them tomorrow.

A week ago I hadn't a clue how these valves worked and to be honest thought they were just a bit of bling. Now I know better ......

@Ron - can I have one please? Will get an order sent off

Russell

·
Registered
556 Posts
y would the turbo spool up quicker, am i missing something?? sure its just fooling the wastegate into thinking ure still running low boost??
Put very simply -

The wastegate sees no boost at all until the preset opening pressure of the GBE, when that boost is reached, the actuator then sees (say) 20psi instantly, and snaps open. Until that point, the wastegate remains very firmly closed as if the engine wasn't even running, allowing the turbo to not waste even a single psi as it spools up, so it reaches peak boost far more quickly, and also more efficiently, as it's not having to supply more air than it needs to for a set boost level, so your intake temps will quite possibly be just a smidge lower too. :)

The wastegate itself could be set at 14psi, 12psi, or 5psi, doesn't make a difference, although setting the wastegate to open at *below* standard boost (say 8-10psi) will let it react much faster when the valve opens, generally giving a smoother peak and finer control. That's the way they're normally used on the T16 turbos, where the GBE will be set to 12psi, and the actuator set to around 6-7psi. In other words, GBE closed, wastegate sees nothing, GBE opens, then the wastegate sees (say) 20psi, which if the wastegate itself is set for a much lower opening pressure, will pop it open nice and quickly.

You will experience potential problems if you've already adjusted your wastegate to give higher boost, as to work correctly, it must be set at least a few psi lower than the boost controller.

As mentioned before, it's the perfect solution for anyone running one of Ron's boxes who only gets a puff of smoke at lower revs when pulling away. More boost sooner = more air sooner = goodbye smoke. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Mad, as explained above it's not so much that it starts to boost earlier, it's more that it gets to a higher boost pressure quicker so makes it feel like it's boosting at an earlier rpm. Still haven't had a full chance to test it out yet as after work i had to pick my sister up from the clubs and there weren't no way i was going to go quick by the way she was speaking, sorry, trying to speak to me in the car! Just a little bit too tipsy i think!

Also the main thing i've noticed is that it reacts lots quicker when your about mid revs, then ease off then throttle it again and the boost is just there straight away. Maybe my car had real bad wastegate creep but from what i've heard it's probably nearly the same on most peoples cars.

As mentioned on my other post further up though, if someone fits this when they haven't got any smoke out the back i should think the gains will be lass impressive. My car always had smoke from the back when going for it so it's now using all that more efficiently and has stopped smoking.

I do think that this controller will be very useful to anyone thinking of getting some Wingy injectors too as with all the extra fuel they provide, getting the boost up quicker will make for a real big kick in the rear!

Cheers,

Phil.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@Phil - Installation is neat and can see why you need to wait for the engine to cool down before adjusting the valve! How in heaven's name do you get photos like that in such a confined space????????????
Hi Russel,

Cheers for the comment on the install! I managed to find an easier way of getting to it now without burning myself, well most of the time anyways! As for the pictures, believe it or not it's off my phone. It's the new Nokia N95, cracking peice of kit it is, modern technology at it's best ey! I just stuck my hand in the bay a few times and pressed the button, worked out quite nice.

As i said on the post above about the controller, i would check for smoke out the back first if there's none then there's not much power to tapped in to. If your thinking of Wingy Injectors, remap/tuning box, or both then i would definitely get one, no questions!

It's also good to have just for the sake of it being lots easier to adjust the boost settings and also far more controlled than the standard way.

I was a little iffy about buying one at first cos i couldn't see how it would be that much better than the normal way but have been very impressed by the improvements so far. I think wear & tear on the original components might play a part in it as well cos as we all know things perform a little worse as they start to wear out!

Cheers,

Phil.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
got mine today plus its just come back from service, new oil and gbe boost mod, nice.
ill report back once ive fitted and fiddled.

also can leave my boost guage fitted to the map pipe and will i still get good reading from it ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts