MG-Rover.org Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I like... to a point. But if anything it is too clinical. There is nothing on the site really makes me excited about owning an MG or a Rover.

I'm not sure what it needs. Streaming videos, competitions, freebies, multi-user games even. Possibly a 'concepts' area on the site where people can see MG-Rover concept vehicles such as the TCV, the MGTF 200HPV, the MG GT and Rover Coupe. Possibly some lifestyle shots and comments that show how peoples lives have improved as a result of buying a Rover or an MG - "My 75 allows me to drive twice round the globe and get out as fresh as a daisy" or "Since buying my MG TF I've got laid twice as often" kind of remarks. Well, maybe not exactly those remarks, but you know what I mean.

The web site needs to reflect the excitement of an MG, the class of a Rover, and show that the company is moving ahead.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boxwellm said:
I like... to a point. But if anything it is too clinical. There is nothing on the site really makes me excited about owning an MG or a Rover.

I'm not sure what it needs. Streaming videos, competitions, freebies, multi-user games even. Possibly a 'concepts' area on the site where people can see MG-Rover concept vehicles such as the TCV, the MGTF 200HPV, the MG GT and Rover Coupe. Possibly some lifestyle shots and comments that show how peoples lives have improved as a result of buying a Rover or an MG - "My 75 allows me to drive twice round the globe and get out as fresh as a daisy" or "Since buying my MG TF I've got laid twice as often" kind of remarks. Well, maybe not exactly those remarks, but you know what I mean.

The web site needs to reflect the excitement of an MG, the class of a Rover, and show that the company is moving ahead.

I think that is fair comment. It is a good corporate homepage, yet not that exciting for the consumer.

·
Registered
446 Posts

This picture is from the official MG-Rover site news page. Getting closer.......
And look at teh Mercedes-like mirror side indicator......When the leaked 45 replacement pictures came out people pointed out the missing side-indicator....Mirror.

Expensive to replace though. Probably £1 below the excess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesel45 said:

This picture is from the official MG-Rover site news page. Getting closer.......

damn right. it's a definate improvement, although i think it was summed up perfectly with the word 'CLINICAL'.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i think for what it is its really good. you have to think the designers are designing a page for in effect two companies in one, very different companies at that. they cant go too sporty and only target mg drivers and they cant go too classic and target rover drivers. they have to have balance, as its only the very entrance page ie you now have to choose your country i would say its pretty spot on. that page appeals to everyone from every country, with corporate branding colours etc. it would be hard to design a better imo

edited: plus its also really easy to use, and you dont have to wait four days for it to download, and you dont NEED to go get a plug in to navigate thru the site.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Agree with you Deelun... up to a point.

But why have they only got one web site for two different brands? You don't have one web site for Volkswagen and Audi do you? Why not build two very different web sites, one for Rovers and one for MGs?

I agree it is important that you can load up a web site quickly and without having to download plugins, but there is also the need to enthuse and excite people. I don't think this web site does it.

Mind you, neither do most manufacturers web sites. I've had a quick spin through a few of them -
Ford: clinical, drab.
Vauxhall: messy.
Volkswagen: okay, but nothing to get excited about.
Seat: a bit more like it - videos, catchy photographs, not bad, but still not exciting enough. 7/10.
Bentley: nice, superb photography, shame about the captions. 7/10.
Mercedes: see Ford.
Alfa Romeo: this used to be a great site, but the suits have got to it. Their slogan 'Beauty is not enough' has obviously been applied to the web site, because they've stripped out the beauty but forgot to replace it with anything else.
BMW: ok-ish.

So there you go. Seat and Bentley get the best marks, but none of them are good.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
they do have websites for the different brands! your just on an entrance page for both brands. when you decide either mg or rover your after you then go into that website. for instance this is rovers website

http://www3.mg-rover.com/rover_GB_en/static/index.html

and mgs

http://www3.mg-rover.com/mg_GB_en/static/index.html

that first page is just an overall branding page for teh full mgrover group. its a starting point! admitedly there is technically one website as theres one url but you could argue that there is definatly two websites. one for rover and one for mg. your just a few steps away from the individual sites as your on a landing page!

that page isnt supposed to be about driving its about choosing which brand your after. its sole purpose imo is for you to choose either mg or rover, you have to think who this website is marketed towards!

for instance the mg one is a little more aggressive and sportier than the rover one. i think they have it spot on.

ps im a web designer, had i of been given the task do design an over all site for both mg and rover it would of looked similar to that, the only thing i dont like is the rover link shoudl have a red background and the mg one a black background, as teh mg site is black. if you have visited the sites before this confuses you!

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
you also have to bare in mind accessibility laws, the dda effects websites too and that why most sites have been redesigned to be accessibile to all - if they dont comply with teh dda then that manufacturer is liable to be sued. take for instance the case of the sydney olypmics 2000 there website was non compliate and there was a massive payout! i think it was around 20k in us dollars (off teh top of my head!)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
deelunn said:
you also have to bare in mind accessibility laws, the dda effects websites too and that why most sites have been redesigned to be accessibile to all - if they dont comply with teh dda then that manufacturer is liable to be sued. take for instance the case of the sydney olypmics 2000 there website was non compliate and there was a massive payout! i think it was around 20k in us dollars (off teh top of my head!)
There speaks a fellow webby type. I work for a university and have to make everything accessible by law. The new MGR site looks great, but why has it been done in such a backwards way?

BTW, the case you mention is Maguire vs. SOCOG

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
it does seem a back to front way of doing things but design wise i dont think its bad at all!

i knew that case was something like that! just couldnt be bothered to go find it, thanks!

as long as its easy to use by all then its good design - imo

·
Registered
838 Posts
I like it. My only worry is that its aimed at pushing the corporate line, rather than actually promoting the cars. This might be improved by a few more shots of the vehicles themselves replaing a few of the production line/visitor centre shots. As a form of advertising, it should include the product from the first moment you look at it. Confidence building of the Rover company also has its place though, and this does it well.

Also thank God it works now. :fishslap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.