MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Leaving 'Q' gate at Longbridge on Thursday, I couldn't help noticing a Rexton driving through the gate...

The Rexton isn't a bad looking thing. Just as long as you ignore the grille, which has an expression recognised by dentists all over the world (as in: 'Just say "Ahhh"')

Anyway, enough mischief making on my part. What was more interesting was the news in Auto Express this week that the Peugeot and Citroën twins are going to be coming out with a pair of SUVs that look suspiciously like the Rexton. Even down to the grille. Okay, so the grille is different, but the expression is similar, if not slightly worse - a bit like saying "ahhh" five minutes after receiving the injection when your mouth is going numb...

According to Auto Express, the Peugroën C707 has been developed in conjunction with Mitsubushi, who they go on to alledge of having built competent SUVs in the past. Mitsubishi will also be building this car as their next generation Outlander.

Attached is the photograph of the Citgeot C707 as shown in Auto Express, plus a Rexton. Your job is to guess which is which.

If anything though, it does suggest that if MG-Rover are planning to come up with their own SUV, they are not alone in seeing the market potential for such a beast.

Attachments

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
598 Posts
Amazing how many TCV's you see coming out now from other manufacturers,
I bet they can't get a washing machine in the rear though let alone wash a Union Jack :hyper:

·
Registered
317 Posts
i actually saw my very first Rexon/Rextron what ever the other day... i was actually quite impressed... the front didnt look all that bad in the metal, and the back looked ok... BUT that doesnt mean that rover can put a badge on it..

Rob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rexton looks ok'ish. Designers do seem to have trouble with rear ends though. That rear pillar.window arrangement is not pretty but then this is an area where many designs fall down anyway. The old A Class Merc is a prime example. I will probably never be in the market for an SUV and the current crop, purely on looks, would not sway me.

·
Registered
rover_45
563 Posts
I've seen some Rextons recently, and exteriorwise I'd say: really nice and strong look. Don't know what the interior and handling is like, though. The exterior has presence at least.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't like SUVs, as the majority of people who buy them have no need for one and just have them as a "look at me" tool. Plus if one drives into you in a normal car at anything more than snails pace you'll probably get killed or seriously maimed.

BUT, if people are going to keep buying them, I'd rather get killed or seriously maimed by an SSAICMGR SUV. As long as long as it looks quite reasonable, then I won't feel so bad as I face my maker.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm. If you meet St. Peter after a brush-in with any SUV driver, I think you'd be pretty miffed, whatever the badge on the grille says.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to live to a healthy ripe old age without being run over by an idiot SUV driver, but hey - don't let me tell you how to live your life.

Seriously though, I must admit that these SUVs can be pretty intimidating, especially on the school run, when they are so huge that the drivers cannot possibly see 5, 6, 7 or 8 year old children because they are below the bonnet line. I've already seen one very near miss - with the driver being completely oblivious to the fact that she nearly killed a six year old child outside the school gate in her Volvo SUV.

Personally, I think that SUVs should be taxed out of existence, with a compulsory £2000 added tax on at purchase, plus £750 per year road tax. If in addition the law was changed so that any death caused by reckless driving by an SUV driver was regarded as murder, the message should start getting through.

Shocking, I know, but I actually agree with Ken Livingstone on this one. I never thought I'd see the day...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
That Pug/Cit SUV won't sell. Everytime a French Company try to venture into a new market that another Company have already nailed, they fall flat on their face. Look at their atempts at Luxury Rep Mobiles for instance, don't see many of them about do you?

I see no reason as to why these are going to be any different.

Rextons are all over the place around my end. They are particularly popular in Ireland as well if my last trip implies.

·
Registered
rover_45
310 Posts
Quite a few Rextons here in Westr Dorset too. One of the agricultural suppliers in Dorchester sells them.

P.S. The Citroens not too bad but that peugeot..........:eek:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Citroëns and Peugeots will sell. They've got a good network in place and the brand is well established.

Playing devils advocate, if the Citroëns and Peugeots don't sell, then why will an MG SUV sell? Hmmm. I see a new thread coming on...

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
That Pug/Cit SUV won't sell. Everytime a French Company try to venture into a new market that another Company have already nailed, they fall flat on their face. Look at their atempts at Luxury Rep Mobiles for instance, don't see many of them about do you?

I see no reason as to why these are going to be any different.

Rextons are all over the place around my end. They are particularly popular in Ireland as well if my last trip implies.
Large cars from Non-Premium manufacturers always struggle. This is the reason why Ford exited the market after the Scorpio and Vauxhall-Opel have been slow to replace the Omega. The Peugeot 605 before the 607 was slow selling, as was the Safrane before the Vel Satis. It isn't just the French that have these difficulties.

If you look at the Van with Windows concept, Citroen have cleaned up with the Berlingo Multispace.

·
Registered
270 Posts
From what I have seen of the Rexton, it would only need a minimal rework at front and rear, along with a possibly uprated suspension to be under the MG brand. It could use an equivalent version of the K2000 engine or the KV6 in 190 or 220 form and a five speed autobox or uprated CVT option (for the K2000). Standard would be a five or six speed gearbox. The uprated suspension could be specified by MGR. :2c: My Kia Sedona has proven to be quite reliable with only one recall , so a Korean vehicle made to MGR specification could compete with the new Kia Sportage in the $22,000 to $26,000 range in the U.S for for four or six cylinder models as a 2WD or 4X4. :idea:

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Omega production ended almost 12 months ago.

Anyway back on topic.....The Rexton is a far better starting point than the CityRover was therefore I have every confidence the MGR/SAIC can produce a competitive car for the SUV sector.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the MG marque evolve into Rover's version of Merc's AMG or BMW's 'M' however over the past 4 years it has gone in quite a different direction so I see no reason why it couldn't be place on a 'sporty looking' SUV.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
Does anyone think that replacing the grille, and adding a few PowerTrain engines to the Rexton would work?

It could be sold by MGR dealers .

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I still think the CR can soldier on and with improvements and recognition (even - heaven forbid - some cute TV advertising) could becone a steady seller until a replacement.

Meanwhile a rebadged Ssangyong might be a better bet than a rebadged Tata and rebranding as an MG might be better than rebadging as Rover. Tata is one brand that is not taken seriously, more so than Ssangyong at any rate, and I wonder if the press will largely ignore the rebadging exercise if it is MG as opposed to the same model becoming a Rover. They do seem to have it in for Rover more than MG.

Add to this the starting point being a solid 4x4 that can gain good sales, some clever repannelling, and MGR making sure any teething problems are sorted out, and the Rexton could be a winner.

One question. Where does America fit into all this? It would be a natural market for a 4x4 and there is the hope that MGR will return there, but where does that leave SAIC/Ssangyong? Will they be leaving the U.S. to MGR or will they want it for themselves/Ssangyong?:spanner:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts