MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a Zt 1.8 turbo a 2005 model and the engine has gone on it with only 20,000 on the clock. apparently the second cam has seized and bent the valves.
I am told the best way forward is to replace it with a reconditioned engine? Could anyone offer any advice on this please? I have only had the car four months and understood when i bought it that there may be one or two problems as Rover folded but this has knocked me for six as i am told it will cost around £2000 for engine inc labour? Is it best to fix the old one? Can anyone offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Depends on damage, it will only be a max of 8 valves that are bent did a cam snap?
Removing the cylinder head will show if pistons have any damage so the engine may be fine,
second hand parts are cheap, not sure on 1.8turbo parts though,

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
Well I have a Zt 1.8 turbo a 2005 model and the engine has gone on it with only 20,000 on the clock. apparently the second cam has seized and bent the valves.I am told the best way forward is to replace it with a reconditioned engine? Could anyone offer any advice on this please? I have only had the car four months and understood when i bought it that there may be one or two problems as Rover folded but this has knocked me for six as i am told it will cost around £2000 for engine inc labour? Is it best to fix the old one? Can anyone offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Cam seizure ... hmmmm ... that's unusual. I wonder ....

One thing you must do .... get at least one more second opinion from someone who really knows these engines. Far too often unfortunate owners are quoted a price for the easy but much more expensive option of replacing the whole thing.

Cylinder head removal will reveal more. If there is some form of camshaft or other cylinder head damage, it's essential to obtain a correct diagnosis and that the cause is identified. Only then in possession of those facts can you plan the best course of action. Shop around .... if only a cylinder head replacement is required the cost will be nowhere near what you have been quoted if a good used part is obtained....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts