MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
is it the photo where you see it from the rear three-quarter? In which case, that's exactly what I was thinking, alex. The lights look like they are off the TCV.

The Lexus RX does exactly the same, but badly IMO.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
New Rover/Jag?

There's also a pic (sure it was in that mag when I flicked through it) of a hot Focus with a Orange lower grille moulding...wonder where they got that idea? how very original

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I've got to say, folks, that doesn't look like a Jaguar. It looks like a Ford. And that is a bad thing. Sorry, but a Jaguar has got to have a certain something, a prestige look that lifts it above the mundane, and still looks like a Jaguar.

Yes, you can overdo it, and the S-Type and X-Type show that, but Jaguar is all about Grace, Pace and Luxury and a jacked up C-Max isn't going to do them any favours.

For all the slating BMW get on their styling direction, you look at a BMW, any BMW built over the last 40 years and you know it's a Beemer. It just couldn't be anything else. Same is true with a Mercedes. Every Mercedes looks like a Mercedes - if you ignore the vans - and could never be anything else. Audi? Same again. Saab? Even more so. VW? Alfa Romeo? The list just goes on.

It is the companies who don't have that same sense of purpose and direction that keep changing their styling and focus every few years. Ford, Vauxhall, Rover, Renault - they've all had identity crisis over the past fifteen years and they've all changed direction on their styling. Yes, nothing wrong with injecting new life into a range of cars - unless your name is Chris Bangle of course - but the direction and focus has to remain the same if you want your customers to remain loyal.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
boxwellm said:
I've got to say, folks, that doesn't look like a Jaguar. It looks like a Ford. And that is a bad thing. Sorry, but a Jaguar has got to have a certain something, a prestige look that lifts it above the mundane, and still looks like a Jaguar.

Yes, you can overdo it, and the S-Type and X-Type show that, but Jaguar is all about Grace, Pace and Luxury and a jacked up C-Max isn't going to do them any favours.

For all the slating BMW get on their styling direction, you look at a BMW, any BMW built over the last 40 years and you know it's a Beemer. It just couldn't be anything else. Same is true with a Mercedes. Every Mercedes looks like a Mercedes - if you ignore the vans - and could never be anything else. Audi? Same again. Saab? Even more so. VW? Alfa Romeo? The list just goes on.

It is the companies who don't have that same sense of purpose and direction that keep changing their styling and focus every few years. Ford, Vauxhall, Rover, Renault - they've all had identity crisis over the past fifteen years and they've all changed direction on their styling. Yes, nothing wrong with injecting new life into a range of cars - unless your name is Chris Bangle of course - but the direction and focus has to remain the same if you want your customers to remain loyal.
Well said!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
boxwellm said:
I agree. I am confused though, didn't Jaguar say they would not get into this market?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Obviously Jaguar have been losing out on sales to BMW and Mercedes and Porsche because they don't have a 4x4. All very understandable. So you might think, as Ford do, that they need a Jaguar 4x4.

But if you discount the 4x4s are they losing out? After all PAG have a 4x4 range - the very best in fact - Land Rover. If you put the sales of Jaguar and Land Rover together, do they stack up well against the Germans then?

I reckon there is far more to be won by advertising Jaguar as a pure undiluted road car maker - "We make the best drivers cars on the road because we only make cars for the road", and the same for Land Rover - "You'll find that we make the best off road vehicles in the world because we have been doing nothing but that for 60 years"

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I can't see the point of Jaguar making an SUV, Jaguar is now a small player within Ford's Premier Automotive Group (PAG), a group which already offers SUVs from it's Land Rover, Volvo, Mazda and Ford operations.

Jaguar like Aston Martin should concentrate on Premium Motor Cars, nothing else !

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
boxwellm said:
Same is true with a Mercedes. Every Mercedes looks like a Mercedes - if you ignore the vans - and could never be anything else. Audi? Same again.
I can see what you mean about Jags and Mercs, but Audi?

Modern Audis look nothing like the tiny DKW Audi 2-strokes of my early years! They don't look like the '70s Audi 80 much either (that was a Polo saloon!).

Nor do they really look like their real natural ancestor, NSUs - The Ro80 was visually heart stopping and brimming with style as well as (dodgy, but) futuristic technology. The little Prinz range and especially the TT were fun, sporty little cars, nothing like that overweight, oversized fat blob Audi TT of today.

Sorry, modern Audis are just boring rebadged expensive VWs that look like boring rebadged expensive VWs......

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Reading this thread is like the Indian Chap from 'Goodness Gracious Me' who was convinced that everything and verybody was Indian!.

Grow up lads. There are themes in car design and everyone picks up on same iseas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.