MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've just ordered one of these from MGMANIA has anyone on here fitted one of them and if so how easy are they to fit and adjust? Regards.

Registered
Not fitted one myself, but as it is essentially only two bolts, how difficult can it be?!

Answer: extremely on an F/TF when the original fixings are made of cheese and/or rusted solid, even though you only refitted them last week 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Reactions: dert

In the Garage
MG TF
No personal experience but I keep thinking of buying one. There have been reports of the adjuster when tightened pulling the mounting bolt out of the threads in the alloy block, whilst I see that as a possibility I suspect it is only an issue if someone goes mad and over tightens the adjuster.

Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
I read recently of someone says that new adjuster rusted solid on them, so maybe not overly improved.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read recently of someone says that new adjuster rusted solid on them, so maybe not overly improved.
Hi and thanks for the reply. But when I get around to fitting mine I will use copper grease to help stop it seizing. Regards.

Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
And how can something be new and improved. If its new, why does it need to be improved? And if is improved, then it can be new. :) It's just a funny expression.

Registered
I fitted one of these, after 6 only months use the engine end retaining long bolt snapped off flat with the block. I used a small hard drill and an Easy out to extract the end of the thread. I was lucky that I didn't overtighten that bolt in the first place and the job went well with zero block damage. On close examination the orignal bolt was deemed to be poor quality steel. I refitted the adjuster with a new bolt of about the same size but of much better quality. I think the new bolt I used was from a Rover suspension arm or something,.

SInce then no problems with the car. The adjuster itself is really nice quality. I worked out the best place for the middle was off center to avoid the center adjuster nut fouling the alternator shell.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And how can something be new and improved. If its new, why does it need to be improved? And if is improved, then it can be new. :) It's just a funny expression.
I think the new part maybe refers to the fact that the item is new, the improved part I think refers to the fact that it is improved over the original F adjuster. That's how I read it!!

In the Garage
MG TF
I鈥檝e never known copper slip to fail me other than on the bolts of the (OEM) alternator adjuster!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fitted one of these, after 6 only months use the engine end retaining long bolt snapped off flat with the block. I used a small hard drill and an Easy out to extract the end of the thread. I was lucky that I didn't overtighten that bolt in the first place and the job went well with zero block damage. On close examination the orignal bolt was deemed to be poor quality steel. I refitted the adjuster with a new bolt of about the same size but of much better quality. I think the new bolt I used was from a Rover suspension arm or something,.

SInce then no problems with the car. The adjuster itself is really nice quality. I worked out the best place for the middle was off center to avoid the center adjuster nut fouling the alternator shell.
Hi when you fitted this originally did you replace the O ring in the end of the spacer, because as I understand it the O ring is supposed to reduce vibration from the engine which may cause the bolt to snap. Regards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts