MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Possibly it's the only part I haven't yet changed. It does seem odd that it happens whether its a warm or cold the doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to as and when it happens.

·
Registered
mg_tf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just a quick update, it has gradually got worse so I've now ordered a new Kmaps ECU, lets hope that finally sorts it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One way or the other please keep us up to date on your progress, it is very informative and instructive for me, certainly, if a bit frustrating for you!
Let's hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

You may have to reset the IACV after fitting the remapped ecu, or at least I had to, as after going round the block to warm it up the revs stayed above 2000 until I went through the earlier mentioned procedure, then all was well again. I just mention that so you don't panic thinking it is not working OK! Maybe yours may not need the procedure of course.

·
Registered
mg_tf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Right Kmaps ECU arrived and fitted, and I would love to say everything is perfect, but its no different and I am at a complete loss. Took it for a less than 5 mile spin and while it revs ok and it doesn't hesitate its down on power and it stinks of unburnt fuel and by the time we got it back home the CAT was glowing cherry red. Earlier in the saga I had thought the CAT may be blocked but I've had Mrs T give it full throttle and there is plenty of air getting through it. Mrs T is ready to cut our losses but I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet. So after changing just about every sensor I'm at a complete loss.

Help.

Cheers

Tubs

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Remove the CAT and see what it runs like then.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mark at kmaps might have an idea or two.

I certainly think the cat must be investigated, as well.

If it is not the ecu itself it has to be a sensor telling the ecu fibs about the engine state, either about its rotational position ie timing or its fuel/air requirements due to temperature and speed.

Are there any sensors that have yet to be changed?

I presume the timing belt is not malfitted ie not one tooth out or more?

Please don't give up, you must be close to finding the problem.

·
Registered
mg_tf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks Johnan

Ive changed ever sensor on the induction side so unless theres a duff new one fitted they should all be ok. I will speak to Mark at Kmaps tomorrow but as there is no discernable difference I can't see its either of the ECU's.

I've decided to bite the bullet and take it to a garage to sort out.

Fingers crossed because Mrs Tubs is ready to pull the plug.

Tubs

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think there will be anything wrong with the kmaps ecu, or the old one it seems, I just think Mark's experience of these engines may give you a pointer to the problem.
Good luck with it anyway...get MrsT a box of chocs, sometimes works!

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Firstly I'm no expert.
However I feel your pain, when changing sensors.
Secondly - When I changed the rear Lambda sensor I had continued running problems. Turns out it did not have a good seal. Some of the threads had stripped taking the old one off. The Tf was over fuelling.
6 months on and a nice layer of muck or rust has helped.
I should have taken it to someone with t4 to check.

A back street garage may not do any more than you have done already. Try to find a garage that are ex MG Rover.

·
Registered
mg_tf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Right so the saga continues, the car is currently with Chelmer Rover Centre, It was put on the T4 and it has diagnosed absolutely nothing different to what I had previously found with my OB2, and they are as stumped as I am. They have additonally checked compression which was fine, fuel pressure again fine now they are going to stip out the injectors to check them. They agreed with my conclusion that it's like a carburrated car with the choke pulled out, but still have no real idea of why its doing it.

Cheers

Tubs

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Have you removed that CAT yet?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Reading through this thread again I started wonder if the cam belt is a notch out.
A good point.
I put my belt on one tooth out and the car ran with some issues like trying to cut out on the overrun and other idling problems.
It also ran very lean (white plugs).
So could fitting the belt one tooth out in the other direction could cause rich running?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I did suggest the belt being malfitted, ie a tooth or more "out", a couple of weeks ago and assumed that had been eliminated as a cause of the woe, but if not, it is certainly a possibility.

I assume the garage will check that as a matter of course.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts