MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inhereted this car from my gran as she is no longer capable of driving and it only has the standard tape deck so i'm going to fit a new one... i've ordered a Sony CDX-GT300 and was wondering if there are any cable adaptors/facia plates i will need and also if the car has any quirks that might make it problematic.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
you shouldt have any probs as long as your sony has iso connectors on the back of it and if your car has steering wheel controls you might be able to get an adaptor so they still work

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hi supasniper,

I put a Sony head unit into my '98 400 last month. And it was a pain in the ass.

You will end up *******sing about for about an hour trying to get the thing to click into place.

It was probably my method, but it can be quite a pain.

What type of 400 did you inherit? :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Homer said:
Hi supasniper,

I put a Sony head unit into my '98 400 last month. And it was a pain in the ass.

You will end up *******sing about for about an hour trying to get the thing to click into place.

It was probably my method, but it can be quite a pain.

i had sony in my 420sdti and didnt have any probs only thing you have to watch is that all wires are out of way when you push it into place

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Homer said:
I got a 420sdti... nice car for my first especially as it was free :D my only gripe is the colour, it's the turquoise (sp?) but apart from that it's all good

thanks for the advise... I should have it fitted for this weekend so i'll let you know how i get on

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
400s are legendarily difficult to fit stereos into due to the reasons above, there isnt alot of room behind the dash for the wiring

if you remove the glovebox it would make life easier as you can access some of the wiring from the side and pull them out the way

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
jimmyt414 said:
i cant seem to get my standard head unit out of my 414i
how does it come out?
Hey i know ive already replied in your other thread but just keep prising it out, when getting the next one in it takes ages to get teh wires in the right place so it can go in, mine has always sat the teeny tiniest bit proud of where i would like, but i dont think there is much you can do about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
geeza76 said:
if you remove the glovebox it would make life easier as you can access some of the wiring from the side and pull them out the way
how would i go about doing this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it fitted last night... wow does it make the stock speakers sound better than the original tape deck :D

also it was a ****** to fit... had to pull the cables through the back and connect them there as there wasn't enough room to just leave them or connect them and pull them through after than i think i'm NEVER gonna take it out till i change car lol

·
Registered
935 Posts
attention all 400 owners.... there is aplastic strut behnd the factory fit stereo, this is the cause of the "not enough room" scenario.

large flat headed screw driver and hammer, one hit up the top of the bracket, one at the bottom, easily snaps off, with no ill after effects. alots easier than having to squash your hand through small holes to get to the wiring!

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Given this fit is so difficult is it possible to remove the offending radio box or cut it out?

Why do Rover see the need to enclose the head unit?

Modern hi power head units have cooling fans built in so surely an enclosed box round them does no one any good.

Any thoughts ice experts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks,

Just got my hands on a 420GSi and a 416SLi and will be replacing both standard HUs with previously obtained JVCs. Just wanted to say thanks to all who have added to this thread, I think my life will be a bit easier...

Quick question though... The factory HUs display on the clock panel, do 3rds also have this "capability" or will it just show time?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts