MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I joined .org a little while ago after buying my 216 which promptly suffered HGF 3 times in 3 months and swore blind I'd never by another k series... so here I am now with my shiny new(ish) mgf!!

Had forgotton how friendly everyone is on here and I have been really enjoying reading threads both old and new.

Anyway, couple of quick questions... paid 3.5k for the f. Its a 99 V plate, 56,000 miles, FSH, hard top also included in sale. Any opinions on whether or not this is good value for money?? Thought I'd brought a bargain at first but have seem some rather cheap adverts lately.

Secondly, I know the problem of selecting reverse is a common one but is it also a common issue for the f to pop out of gear and crunch when in reverse. This has got steadily worse over the past week and I now have trouble keeping it in reverse for any length of time...

Lastly, do any northerners know of a decent garage to get my 60,000 service done around the Newcastle area??

Many thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
The only place I can recomend so far is Lion Garages at Bedlington. It's only 15 - 20 miles from you. They are ex Rover and seem to know what they are doing.

As for was it a bargain. Who knows. if you are happy then it was well worth the money. Don't dwell on the Bullseye "Look what you could've won" mentallity. You will always see better, cleaner, shinier. But you have got one now, cherish it.

Not sure about the gearbox, may need adjustment, may even need oil, but that's not one of my strong points so I will pass that on to someone who knows.

P.S. Whereabouts in Newcastle?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Benton, near 4 lane ends... Notice your in Ashington- used to work up there up until 2 months ago, cost me a fortune on petrol there and back each day.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I work in ATMEL in the Silverlink. Watchout for a mad bloke in a Dark blue TF waving at other F/TFs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shall do mate... have tried to be the friendly mg driver a few times already and instigate 'the wave'... usually only results in a suspicious looks back!!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Evening all,

I know the problem of selecting reverse is a common one but is it also a common issue for the f to pop out of gear and crunch when in reverse. This has got steadily worse over the past week and I now have trouble keeping it in reverse for any length of time...
Hi Mark, welcome to the forums.
No its not normal for it to pop out of gear but don't immediately conclude that its a gbox problem. First thing is to check the cable linkages at front and back. Are they free to move, does the clevis bind anywhere when in reverse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Balrog... I didn't think it was a common fault but will try to keep optimistic. Will check those cable linkages after work tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts