MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I can't help but feel slightly disappointed to be honest.

I was expecting more of a revolution, not an evolution. The front is grafted right off the current model! The back looks a hell of a lot like a Maverick! :(

I like the interior though. Nice to see they have moved away from the 800-inspired one in the outgoing model. :)

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
It may look the same, but it is a completely different vehicle underneath - gone with the old Maestro platform, replaced by a 4x4 version of the Focus platform, and of course there is no K series or KV6 in the new version.

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
i guess they didn't want to alienate current owners buy being to radical!!!!
disapointing is the descripion i would use.
it doesn't look modern enough!!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
SFulcher said:
It may look the same, but it is a completely different vehicle underneath - gone with the old Maestro platform, replaced by a 4x4 version of the Focus platform, and of course there is no K series or KV6 in the new version.
That's great, but the outgoing public aren't going to see that.

The Freelander has a somewhat tarnished image thanks to initial reliability gremlins in the early models, and Land Rover needed something completely new in the styling department with this new model.

If you hadn't have told me that, I would have believed anyone who said that it was simply a re-body. It just looks too much like the old one and this can only go on to affect sales...

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The old mcgovern freeloader had its faults but it was always a nice looker. this has just sharpened it up a bit, interior looks mint. dont like that huge grill much though. if it goes well enough off road thumbs up from me!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Well look on the bright side, if BMW can shift their 3-Series, I'm sure LR will sell a few of these...

And it's not like the design of the Range Rover has changed much over the years!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
I am sure the drive will be completely different though. Not everything is the looks, although I doubt many people will buy one for its off-road potential - most 4x4s arent bought for that these days.

The one advantage it will have is it will re-introduce the petrol engine to the range. Since Powertrain went into administration in April 2005, Land Rover has been unable to offer this option. Does anyone know if the TD4 is to be replaced by a Ford/PSA engine, or will it continue to use the BMW M47?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
SFulcher said:
The one advantage it will have is it will re-introduce the petrol engine to the range. Since Powertrain went into administration in April 2005, Land Rover has been unable to offer this option. Does anyone know if the TD4 is to be replaced by a Ford/PSA engine, or will it continue to use the BMW M47?
I assume it's Ford unit.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I quite like it really, it retains the overall freelander look but i think it looks sufficiently different overall, clearly the back is going to look strange with no spare wheel.

Is there only going to be a 5 door model?

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
iburnley said:
I quite like it really, it retains the overall freelander look but i think it looks sufficiently different overall, clearly the back is going to look strange with no spare wheel.

Is there only going to be a 5 door model?
yes they are not going to build a three door .
cant remember why though!!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
Dont think they are going to build the convertible either! I would guess it is because they didnt sell enough to justify it, and that they think anyone who would have bought the 3-door will still buy the 5.

Remember how little the Range Rover differed from its predecessor, and that proved no barrier to sales.

·
Registered
965 Posts
paynemgzr said:
yes they are not going to build a three door .
cant remember why though!!
they arent building a 3 door, and i'm pretty sure it is because they have plans to introduce a range below the Freelander, which is often named the "landie" project. this will be smaller and i guess a bit like the old suzuki vitara in size and body styles. have to wait and see though.

the new freelander will use Ford engines, probably the new 2.2 litre as used in the Transit and others, co developed with PSA, like the 2.7TDV6.

apparently land Rover did have a stock pile of K series to keep them going for a while after the collapse, but i dont know for how long. i would imagine ford will be glad to put their own engine in the new models, because i think they were quite annoyed at having to buy engines off BMW when they have their own equivalents, and i can see why!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
The K series reserves ran out about 2 months after Powertrain fell into administration last year.

The petrol varients were removed from the Land Rover website shortly afterwards, and they concentrated a large amount of advertising on the TD4.

Didn't the Freelander originally use the L series?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
SFulcher said:
The K series reserves ran out about 2 months after Powertrain fell into administration last year.

Didn't the Freelander originally use the L series?
No they didnt they only ran out last month.

Yes it used the L series upon launch and the first 2 years of production.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Liam Olf said:
I was expecting more of a revolution, not an evolution.
Landrover has always been about evolution tho. Admittedly the current Disco is a bit of a jump from the previous one, but the styling for the Defender can be traced all the way back to the Series 1 in an unbroken line. Likewise the RR has always kept the castellated bonnet, and a few other styling cues.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Clarkson will, and imo rightly, rip that to shreds. It's a pastiche. What price brave and bold design? Also I have to smile at the new model not being based on the Maestro platform but now a Focus :eek:mg: So no progression there then?

Regards

Mike :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts