MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted a few days ago about condensation from my exhausts when I picked up my car after having a recon. engine put in.

Started it up today. No problem and coolant level was fine. Drove it for 1hr 45 minutes at an average speed of 40 miles an hour. Kept it below 3k rpm and max.speed 50-60 mph. At no time stuck in traffic.

Driving on the A46 at 50 mph and the engine overheats. Gauge on red and a bit of steam from the boot.

Pulled over immediately. It cooled quickly but there was a significant loss of coolant. Splattered over engine.

Got recovered for the last 20 miles as I didn't want to put water in and drive again.

How can this happen? 50 mph the coolant must be freezing and lots of cold air blowing over the engine from the vents.

The guy who put the engine in, test drove it for 100 miles and didn't have a problem.

(The engine fan doesn't work and I was warned about this when I picked the car up. But this cannot have been the problem).

Maybe it's something simple like a dodgy cap? Hope so. No money left. (I looked on the inside of the cap and the indent is central)

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Sorry to hear that, it sounds to me like a lose hose clamp somewhere in the engine compartment. Did you check that option ?

Got no other idea, so far :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Could be a number of things. Hose hanging off after ingine change causing severe loss of coolant which in turn led to overheating. Or thermostat stuck causing overheating

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, garage that replaced enginehas suggested I change the resevoir cap. (Car is 80 miles from garage so not been able to take it back yet). I have done some searching on here and it looks like the HRC606 Halfords one is the one to go for. Thing is, Lates told me to look on the underside of the cap (he did my radiator last year) and if the middle bit was off-centre then there was a problem.

Thing is it seems central on this one but I suppose its worth replacing anyway for a few quid. Can it be faulty even if the centre bit is central?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,183 Posts
For the price of a new cap I wouldn't bother trying to second guess if it's failed or not, in fact buy two caps and keeps one in the boot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts