MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a Zt 1.8 turbo a 2005 model and the engine has gone on it with only 20,000 on the clock. apparently the second cam has seized and bent the valves.
I am told the best way forward is to replace it with a reconditioned engine? Could anyone offer any advice on this please? I have only had the car four months and understood when i bought it that there may be one or two problems as Rover folded but this has knocked me for six as i am told it will cost around £2000 for engine inc labour? Is it best to fix the old one? Can anyone offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Is it covered under warranty at all?

There will be cars that have been crashed, and these appear on Ebay pretty regularly. Otherwise, a complete engine will be obtainable from XPart, the spare parts company - www.xpart.com

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
If the liners are not cracked or the pistons damaged you can just replace the cylinder head.

The question you need to ask is what caused the cam to seize?

Did you get a years warranty with it? An engine isnt classed as "consumable"! and should be replaced/repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unfortunatly the warranty has expired now. apparently the oil pump has failed causing the oil pressure to run low in the engine which resulted in the cam snapping

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
unfortunatly the warranty has expired now. apparently the oil pump has failed causing the oil pressure to run low in the engine which resulted in the cam snapping
Ah ! Which usually does mean a complete engine replacement as the crank has probably had it aswell !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone recommend where i may purchase a new or reconditioned engine from or one from a car which has been wrote off?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try eBay. I bought used Rover 75 1.8 engine there for only 725,- GBP. I had the same problem as you. Engine will be installed next week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will the standard 1.8 k series engine connect to the turbo and all the other auxilierys on my mg zt 160 without a problem or do i need a specific 1.8 engine that is made specially for the turbo model? (Hope that makes sense)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Will the standard 1.8 k series engine connect to the turbo and all the other auxilierys on my mg zt 160 without a problem or do i need a specific 1.8 engine that is made specially for the turbo model? (Hope that makes sense)

From what I've read on this topic before on here, you need the specific turbo engine. Trying to adapt the standard 1.8 would bring you up against major problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I've read on this topic before on here, you need the specific turbo engine. Trying to adapt the standard 1.8 would bring you up against major problems.

Thanks for that. Just been offered a specific turbo engine reconditioned for £1200 inc vat and delivery. is that a good price? and how much should i be charfged for fitting?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Recon engine

Thanks for that. Just been offered a specific turbo engine reconditioned for £1200 inc vat and delivery. is that a good price? and how much should i be charfged for fitting?
I have heard too many bad stories of recon engines that I would need to be quite sure it is a reputable Co.
I would also require a list of all parts ACTUALLY REPLACED.
Many of these recon places only replace parts that are too far gone and take a chance on the rest knowing it will, usually, still go past the guarantee period.
There are plenty of cars for breaking on ebay. It's worth looking for a low mileage example and doing a straight transplant. Am sure I have seen several good engines at half that recon price !
Could look for the same from good breakers such as
roverbreakers.com. (Andy) 01606 738873
reclamet.co.uk 01843 823554
bestofbritishrover.btinternet.co.uk
[email protected]
dk salvage autospares Peterborough (sorry no No.)
HTH, Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts