MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats wrong with my brakes? ive just had new mintex discs and pads fitted yesterday by ATS.

i was told to run them in for 500 miles, and so far ive done 120 miles with mostly gentle braking.

problem only occured after about 40/50 miles, by which time the brakes started to feel a bit more responsive.

all off a sudden the drivers side brake will squeel without me applying the brakes at all. it will squeel for minutes on end unless i gently apply pressure on the brakes whick makes it stop for a short while. sometimes though it can go for miles without squeeling then all of a sudden it comes back! its very annoying and quite noisy (although there is no steering wheel wobble or anything)

also the drivers side brake was really hot compared to the passengers side when i parked up.

is the piston in the drivers side caliper not set up correctly? if not then why did it take 40/50 miles to start squeeling? am i in danger of warping brand new discs?

i could understand if it was squeeling under load, but its squeeling without load and quiet when under load!

sorry about the long post! :err:

p.s. there is copper slip behind the pads.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Nope that is not right. Your brakes are binding. Your brakes are going to prematurely wear. Get the car back to ATS. You may need the fluid bleeding or the caliper may be sticking.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ashy said:
Nope that is not right. Your brakes are binding. Your brakes are going to prematurely wear. Get the car back to ATS. You may need the fluid bleeding or the caliper may be sticking.
which bit is not right? about the piston? also how easy is it to rectify a sticky caliper?

sorry for sounding like an idiot but im no mechanic.

just some more info:

the brakes were not sticking with my old discs/pads, i was just advised that the pads were worn (not touched for 3 yrs/45,000 miles) and also under heavier braking id get a wobbly steering wheel (hence new discs)

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Crevice said:
which bit is not right? about the piston? also how easy is it to rectify a sticky caliper?

sorry for sounding like an idiot but im no mechanic.

just some more info:

the brakes were not sticking with my old discs/pads, i was just advised that the pads were worn (not touched for 3 yrs/45,000 miles) and also under heavier braking id get a wobbly steering wheel (hence new discs)
The caliper sliders need to be pushed back properly and re-greased. Also doesnt sound as if they have smeared the shim and back of the pad with a little grease.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
The caliper sliders need to be pushed back properly and re-greased. Also doesnt sound as if they have smeared the shim and back of the pad with a little grease.
ok, i will get a mechanic friend to take a look tomorrow. do i need any special tools?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.