MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking if anyone has seen a test report on it?
I know Autocar is doing one next week.
Cheers
Mega

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mega said:
It has very clever front suspension, lets see what "JEZZA" thinks.
Mega
Some gob****e i should think!
Thats my favourite thing that is, small cars with massive/massively powerful engines in them.....

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
I dislike the current smattering of french supermini's - A citroen c3 or clio in top spec trim might be an exception however. On the other hand there is no denying the last clio 172/182 and V6 ranges were rather special cars (I believe 8-9,000 of them were sold here) and were quite nifty and good value - the new 197 continues this trend and would be my choice of clio.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
I dislike the current smattering of french supermini's - A citroen c3 or clio in top spec trim might be an exception however. On the other hand there is no denying the last clio 172/182 and V6 ranges were rather special cars (I believe 8-9,000 of them were sold here) and were quite nifty and good value - the new 197 continues this trend and would be my choice of clio.
I personally think the lovely looking previous generation Clio and 206 have been completely destroyed with these new versions. They are big, heavy, and far far far from cute.
They might be able to make a cracking little car out of this new Clio shape, but they are going to have to work bloody hard.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
its the headlamps and the height of the bonnet which put me off, everything is so 'gaping' - Interior is much improved however on previous generations and is pleasant enough to sit in.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
its the headlamps and the height of the bonnet which put me off, everything is so 'gaping' - Interior is much improved however on previous generations and is pleasant enough to sit in.
Yeah but they could have had BOTH!
The public said "we like our clio, but wouldnt it be good if it had more space!?!?"

GET A MEGANE!

But not they have to listen to their customers so we end up with a not-so-mini supermini.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Its the advert which annoys me on TV - trying to make out designing the car is a more influencial process to our economy than making the things basically.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Its the advert which annoys me on TV - trying to make out designing the car is a more influencial process to our economy than making the things basically.
Here is what i dont get "French car, British designers"
Excuse me, thats the wrong way round isnt it?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
I am sure they are out to confuse us....

Anyway I have seen plenty of new clios around - I think renault are hoping to sell 60,000 of them this year in the UK, compared to the target of 70,000 207's set by peugeot. Judging by initial perceptions of the latter this target could potentially be a struggle.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
e668ecp said:
Its French - nuff said
You've said far too much ... :)

Moi ... (That's French by the way )

Any thoughts....?

Je pense que ...

Nope ... (That's English by the way)

... ;)

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Samuel said:
Some gob****e i should think!

Thats my favourite thing that is, small cars with massive/massively powerful engines in them.....
Funny you should say that .... That's exactly what I do not like ....

Funny old game cars ..;)

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Samuel said:
Here is what i dont get "French car, British designers"

Excuse me, thats the wrong way round isnt it?
My sentiments exactement...

Mind you, that elegant French bird in that same TV Advertisement is well tasty .... and very very elegant .... unlike most modern French cars..

"Shake a lill rrrse" indeed... Wosssat all about? ... loose rear end or summat...

Not forgetting "Size mutters" ...;)

·
Registered
16,488 Posts

They have to be more powerful now because everything is so much heavier what with more safety equipment, and greater needs for accommodation. A hot hatch even with 150bhp is now frowned upon if its the top version. The polo GTi and Mitsubishi colt CZT received such opinions. The plus point is that we receive fast cars in a smaller package for a smaller price.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
MGJohn said:
Funny you should say that .... That's exactly what I do not like ....

Funny old game cars ..;)
I can be convinced either way! In reality i judge each car on its merits - one genre of vehicle doesnt always win out for me, but I do like when they get something like a clio, stick the engine in the middle, and at least double its size, add another 2 cylinders and so on.

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Clio 197...........they not that...

...Impressed!
Seems that they are a bit under impressed seeing how for not much more your got a Focus st!

Mega

1 - 20 of 32 Posts