MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject: My friend tells me of a bolt on supercharger the m45 that is standard on the mini cooper s, can be fit almost all cars 1.6 and above.

My question is can i do it to my rover 25 1.4 16v

I know there would be work to be done i.e. brakes etc, (my mate says one reason it would not be as easy on a 1.4 is due to the pullys not been strong enough, so would have to get one of them changed to a much stronger one.

I would like to do this if it was possible, which is why i have whote this subject, and have searched but nothing came up so this is an open discussion, and would like to hear all comments large or small.

hopefully out of this discussion i would know whether it would work....

thanks
peter

·
Registered
919 Posts
A few more factors to consider:
low compression & forged pistons
forged conrods
piggyback ECU able to fuel the car appriopriately
fuelling (i.e. injectors and fuel pump)
engine mounts
oil feed for charger
PG1 gearbox (your R65 wont take it)

etc etc...

I think you'd be lucky if you saw 20-30hp more....

maybe find a scrapped 200 coupe turbo with a good engine and gearbox. approx 200hp straight away, just custom engine mounts and engine wiring loom. (See here http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=192419)

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
A few more factors to consider:
low compression & forged pistons
forged conrods
piggyback ECU able to fuel the car appriopriately
fuelling (i.e. injectors and fuel pump)
engine mounts
oil feed for charger
PG1 gearbox (your R65 wont take it)

etc etc...

I think you'd be lucky if you saw 20-30hp more....

maybe find a scrapped 200 coupe turbo with a good engine and gearbox. approx 200hp straight away, just custom engine mounts and engine wiring loom. (See here http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=192419)
Suppose you could supercharge the T16 turbo.

If a supercharged KV6 is anything to go by, it will be very very quick!!

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
985 Posts
What the?

Supercharged 1.4... doubt there's much point. With the insurance hike, buy a Vi. Though if its a matter of something interesting, then go ahead.

·
Registered
mg_zr
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only reason i thought this might be a good idea is that the mini s charger is designed to be fuel economical with good gains, and if it was ana easier job than changing the engine then it might be worth it...

but anyway it was only a thought because of the mini s charger being 180 pound new, which is really good.

thanks peter

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
It won't be cheap to fit that charger as a lot of modification and internal work would have to be done, ECU would need to be changed and it would all need to be set up correctly.

It would be easier and cheaper to fit a VVC engine or a T series turbo as most of the stuff can be had from the donor car.
Both are faster then a Mini copper S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts