MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why a 65 plate 2016 6 would have been MOT'd not long after its registration date and also MOT'd in 2018.

It should not have been due for it's first MOT until January 2019?

Confused never came across this situation before unless it is to do with it being a prototype from China maybe?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,771 Posts
could have been written off then insurance company made the new owner mot for insurance purposes.?

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,055 Posts
Most likely will have been bought new to be used as a taxi or private hire car?

Regulations covering taxis normally require them to be given a full MOT test before they can be licenced for 'hire and reward', even if it is a brand new car. They then have to be MOT tested annually even if less than the three years old required for the first MOT test for a private car.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Most likely will have been bought new to be used as a taxi or private hire car?

Regulations covering taxis normally require them to be given a full MOT test before they can be licenced for 'hire and reward', even if it is a brand new car. They then have to be MOT tested annually even if less than the three years old required for the first MOT test for a private car.
Good point I should have known that myself I used to be a taxi driver 20 odd years ago.

Both our brand new Metrocabs at the time both failed the Hackney carriage test for stupid reasons mind but from brand new.

Must be about the only possible reason but mileage is far too low for a taxi though.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it seems it was a taxi/private hire for its first year then.

Sat around for about a year and a half.

Someone bought it and it had its second MOT at 41353 miles.

Did about 6k in it and got rid a year later.

Grey TS in Bradford VE65BTY reg.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,055 Posts
The Vehicle Identity Check (as its name suggests) was purely to verify the identity of the repaired vehicle and was an inspection simply to make sure that it wasn't a stolen or Cat A/B write off that had been illegally given the identity of another car. The VIC did not check anything regarding roadworthiness of the vehicle having its identity checked.

The position has always been that there is no legal requirement for the vehicle to undergo an MOT test before returning to the road if it still has a current MOT certificate (or if it has not reached 3 years old).

However, some (but not all) insurance companies may require an structurally damaged insurance write-off vehicle which has been repaired to undergo an MOT test before they will insure it again to verify that it has indeed been repaired to a roadworthy condition (this has always been the case).

Alternatively, they may require an engineers report to be provided to verify the repair instead of submitting it for a new MOT test. (I had this some years ago with a badly damaged MG Metro - the insurance company agreed to pay out in lieu of repairs instead of making it a Cat C write off, and I had it repaired; the repairer then had to provide an engineers report to verify that all was as it should be, and the insurance company re-instated the insurance, and it continued on the existing MOT test certificate).

·
Registered
3 Posts
So it seems it was a taxi/private hire for its first year then.

Sat around for about a year and a half.

Someone bought it and it had its second MOT at 41353 miles.

Did about 6k in it and got rid a year later.

Grey TS in Bradford VE65BTY reg.
Hey Simcor, I have actually just bought this car was it yours or did you just see it for sale?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts