MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.... my 1.8i MGF is was 3 years old last December.. It's a 2nd car that is kept in the garage and used for recreational use... it's done just over 9k miles. Just recently I noticed that the battery is sounding a bit 'sluggish' after being left for a few days....

When it used the car tend to do long-ish trips without stop-starts, so it should charge ok I guess...

Question is... after 3 and a bit years should I just change the battery??? What is the life expectancy of the original battery?? Or should I see how it goes now the better weather is here and it will get more use...

If new battery... what is the going rate for a replacement...

cheers

Laurence.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Battery life depends on useage, if you are only using the F intermittantly then this will impact on the longevity of the battery unless it is connected to an exerciser (which is what i do - the exerciser allows the battery to partially discharge (but never to a point where the car cannot be started) before topping it up in a continuous cycle - this mirrors the way in which the alternator charges the battery when the car is running and keeps the battery in tip top condition (also known as a battery conditioner). Trickle chargers and power 'jump' chargers can damage the battery over time / used often.

The current drawn from the battery when the car is stationary is reasonable, if the car is locked and alarmed it is enough to drain the battery to the point of non-starting in as little as 14 days.

I would recommend replacing the battery and purchasing a battery exerciser (try http://www.brownandgammons.co.uk - they sell them online). This should ensure the stays in good condition and the car will always be ready for a drive. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers Scarlet... what is the best battery to get for my F...?? any ideas on prices and best places to buy?

Cheers

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Laurence

The battery type that you need is most likely to be the same as the one you already have. The rating will be clearly shown on the battery. Or battery suppliers have charts showing which one is recommended for specific cars, even Halfords show the MGF.

Where to buy in Warwickshire?

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=car+battery&companyName=&location=warwickshire&searchType=classic&broaderLocation=&clarifyIndex=0&ooa=on

gives a good selection.

Almost anywhere will be cheaper than an MGR dealer, but why not give them a chance - you may be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts